Dear Santa, All I want For Christmas is Planning Approval

All pretty valid suggestions. The one that kicked off the topic is in an unused part of a cinema parking lot. We may still be able to get something going there in Feb, but no telling when nor any guarantees that we can. I’m going to pursue it anyway as we may lay down some dirt in the summer and make it a dirt (Or rallycross) rental track.

The main issue now is that I’m kinda screwed for time. Most places are going to require permits or board approval of some sort and don’t meet until late Jan next year. At this point I need places that more-or-less have full reign of their land or at least their current zoning could be argued as being suitable for gokarting. Fairgrounds seem to have this kind of klout, but most are run by volunteers that are not super motivated to return phone calls or emails is seems…

It’s been an interesting journey. I know we’ll get out on the ice… but exactly how it will look is pretty blurry.

1 Like

I say beg forgiveness. Roll out to a different random lake every weekend. Have people sign up and prepay. Email location night before. Show up, plow a spot, race until they kick you out. Load up and go home.

Repeat the next week :metal:

#KartFlashMob

5 Likes

Illegal, but I like it.

2 Likes

Genius. I am good for a $20 for bail.:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Not gonna lie, that gets closer to reality every day. Plus sounds like fun. Karting renegades :joy:

5 Likes

Update!

We have a green light at Washington County Fairgrounds. Went through the whole process with them, planning approval, city approval, sheriff, fire, COVID plan etc etc.

Next step is to cut the track in the snow and see how this might all work together. The weather is comically unsuitable right now, so fingers crossed we can get some money in the bank before it warms up.

4 Likes

Yooooooo thats awesome! Hopefully you guys can get out there before it heats up again

1 Like

James,

Is it just approved for this year or multiple years?

1 Like

It’s an experimental idea, so one year right now. The fair is excited to potientally have it as an annual thing, but really I’m still going through the process of seeing if this can even pay it’s own bills.

We were able to leverage the ordinance\authorized use permit that the fairgrounds had for banger racing, music etc. I guess as long as that permit goes and/or would be extended to. I’ve been so focused on just getting it running that I haven’t circled back to think about the long term, I didn’t even thing to ask. Good callout ha.

Haha. I was just asking so I could plan a trip up there to try it out in a year or two.

1 Like

LETS GO! Let us know when you’re all set up, I’d love to stop by sometime

Got it. Where are you based?

Charlotte, North Carolina

1 Like

Been building up the track over the last week. 12,000 gallons thrown down so far, probably another 12,000 to go. With no water supply worth talking about at the site we’re having 6000 gal trucks bring it in.

Here it is today after grooming yesterday’s snowfall.

3 Likes

Also considering buying a vintage zamboni…

1 Like

looks like you found ur zamboni driver, he looks excited to drive :joy:

2 Likes

Bernies natural element and he as the mittens to prove it. Its been a pretty odd winter so far here in the NE, weather wise. It has been plenty cold but nothing dramatic and no snow that I can recall thus far. I am sure a mild winter in Minnesota would be a stage 4 catastrophe, here, though. We don’t get snow like we used to, as a kid. (Jeez I sound like an old guy now).

2015 anyone? We had 18 inches one day in December but that’s it

I want to say it was around New Year’s 2013/2014 when it dumped like 16 inches overnight on the South Coast of Mass. We were a little worried our flight would be delayed, but they handled it like champs.

26,000 + gallons of water later…

Office and kart storage containers arrived yesterday. Getting close!!

4 Likes