Difference in aluminium rims

What I wonder is there big differences in aluminium rims specially using in the rain? I mean there are alot on the market. For magnesium there are many differences but it would interest me if you have experienced any significant differences for aluminium. Thx

This could be an interesting topic, not sure many people will have data on it. I’ve never tested different aluminum rims, as I only use them for rain, and in such conditions, the track is so variable from lap to lap it would be hard to get really solid data on it.

Testing in dry would be easier. Would be interested in anyone’s results.

For me its more interesting how cheapest Rims like RR or douglas compare agains OTKs AXP for example

Here is a question. Y’all think it’s ever cold enough to run slicks on an aluminum rim? I had a race last winter that was around 30 degrees F but dry. This was a green blacktop track in 206 with lecont reds.

I used pressure to put heat in them on mag wheels. Curious to hear opinions on slicks on aluminum below freezing temps

Yes, that’s essentially when aluminum rims are useful. I’ve driven MXCs in cold Wisconsin weather and it worked, but definitely took time to get the tire temps up. Lots of guys will run aluminum wheels here for club races, especially in the colder months, since the races are short.

1 Like

So then I guess follow up question. We run 6” tire. When on aluminum you go 180 like rain or 210

180 vs 210 (or bigger) depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. I prefer to use the tire sidewall like they were designed to work so I don’t stretch them out.

Yeah I was more referring to just the dry below freezing conditions. In the heat I typically run my slicks stretched.