Do you look behind when you race?

Defense is wierd, tho. At some point you let the corner entries get fast again. If you never look to see where the guy is, other than sound, how you gonna know if you can take the wider entry? Sound in 4 stroke rentals is less pronounced and you only really hear the other guy when he’s in your bumper.

youve raced WF and shifters right? can you hear when a WF is behind you, as apposed to in 2 strokes?

i get why its hammered in to not do it. easy habit to create than can cause big problems. I think there are moments when you should look behind. I do it once or twice a lap depending on the track. On some tight turns you dont even have to turn your head much to see behind you

1 Like

The problem appears to be what makes high performance driving possible. Hands go where eyes go. Even when you try to be controlled about it, you have to be very conscious of what your hands want to do.

Inexperienced karters invariably zig-zag when they look around. This is beating a dead horse but look:

Much easier to hear the other shifters! With 20-25 WF on the grid you don’t really need to look back, there’s always someone there :eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve talked to my daughter about this. She doesn’t look behind her much during a race. She has told me that at certain corners, she is able to see who is coming and judge by how fast depending on where they are lap after lap. Also, she has said that if the driver behind her is faster, it is their job to safely get past her as she races on the line.

4 Likes

Unless there’s a classic turn 1 wreck at NHMS

Your daughter sounds smart. I don’t think I could e said anything better

@DavidSera Such a good discussion we forgot about your video! Thank you for contributing. We are fortunate to have you here!

The part about looking the wrong side of the kart… here’s a lighthearted version of that backwards (in this very unusual instance involving a Son being a sneaky bastard):

Good video! I think emphasizing looking ahead is really important. I personally find that if I only look ahead, I end up getting ahead of kart slightly. I think it’s important to be eyes front, but active, scanning.

Peripheral vision takes care of apex checks, but I do need to keep eyes active and not glued forwards.

1 Like

Sorry to go off topic, but after watching the second video…This is how I often feel in a Kart. Knees butted up against the steering and straining to keep my toes off the pedals. :rofl:

1 Like

2 Likes

The full reverse crane. Max has a bionic neck.