Does anyone ride recreationally?

Lol i have a feeling that is exactly whats going to happen. Hey is the rotax fr125 max dd2 the same as a rotax fr125 max with the exception that the dd2 has 2 speed gearing? I ask for the sake of watching rebuild/maintenance videos such as the carb, clutch, top and bottom end.

There’s one fundamental difference in that the DD2 doesn’t utilize a chain. Rather the axle passes through the casing for the gearbox.

DD2 is a real kick in the pants. They make a little more power than the FR and of course the gears help wake things up too.

The local group of guys at my track in MN that just practice run DD2s actually, comeplete with their motocross helmets and eye goggles :smiley:

Unless you have some previous racing experience though, I’m hesitant to recommend a DD2. Even a TaG motor can be intimidating.

1 Like

Hehehe im going dd2. I will take it easy and become one with her though. When you say a kick in the pants do you mean its a pain in the arse? Or like a rush?

Haha both. DD2 is pretty damn fast. I’m not sure how much maintenance (work or parts cost) is involved with the clutch.

Keep us posted on your journey. You’re blessed with not having much snow down there.

1 Like

I did get lucky i see. I should be grateful and i sure am. I will certainly keep you guys posted right on here. I was thinking of buying used but who knows what you’ll get right? You never know so im leaning towards new but used is tempting.

GOOD, well cared for used all the way.

1 Like

James i forgot an important question…i dont have a garage (i do but its out of the question) can i get my kart inside my house via standard doorways? (Removing wheels, bumpers etc) My doorway is 30 inches wide. The rear axle has me doubting.

I do have a plan b just in case and thats through my front door (double door) but then i have to roll my baby to the pool deck it has a screen enclosure and will never see rain however i do not like the idea of my kart being outoors even though she will be covered thoroughly. I’m sure lots of you have a spot in the garage.

Rotax / DD2 has a radiator so you have to keep em from freezing. Or drain it. Most tracks don’t allow anything other than water in the system.

Sideways or vertical should fit through a door. Fuel will be the issue.

Getting it through ‘flat’ would get old quickly, You’d have to do a lot of removing of items and the rear axle is still there at least 40" worth.

I leave mine in a garage and often wheel it outdoors on the stand, if using chemical on it.

LO206 is drain the carb after use, change oil, maintain clutch/chain. Fuel is $ pump gas. DD2 is $$$$$$ for fuel and oil. To be fair the LO206 does use engine oil so that should add a couple of $$ added. LO206 is the bang for the buck as far as getting started. Stupid mistakes just aren’t as expensive. Clutch cost being one that is lower.

Yeah i think im going to stick to keeping my kart in my laundry room so sideways entry will have to be it. Just how heavy is a kart approximately? Could i pull this off alone if need be?

Earlier i stated i wanted a dd2 but after some thinking im better off with a tag. I’ve thought of the 206 but i know im gonna get bored quickly so I’m gonna start off with either a rotax 125 max or an iame x30. Reason why id like the x30 is its simplicity and the fact that i have already read the overhaul and assembly manual multiple times so I’ve familiarized myself with it. In the very end this could change but for now these two are on the top of my list. Thanks mike and i will find a way to get my kart in sideways with minimal fuel spillage lol

Check your inbox I sent you a message!

Went 3 years on the same block for my 206. Ran a little to low on oil then oops. I’m driving my kart almost every weekend

One of the problem with DD2 is the frame locks you into a DD2, Rotax Only. DD2 frame and DD2 engine are only compatible with each other. Some say they handle differently than all other karts. The power is there. I know you are kind of off the DD2, but just an FYI in case you find a deal on one.

The weight of the kart is not so much an issue as is the awkwardness of it. That said the weight is also an issue. Figure 200 lbs, plus any added weight. Really skinny guys have to add a lot of weight and that compounds the problem.
There are some stands that more or less stand the kart on the rear bumper.

The biggest thing I find with karting is the condensed format and kart nimbleness makes a lot of quick corners that are hard for newbs to comprehend. Then you ask for help and get overloaded with
what is the kart doing in 7+ corner broken down into 3 phases per corner and maybe even 3 times of the session. The kart don’t care what you did in the past either from everything I have seen and experienced myself.

I love the LO206 and think it would be a great choice for limited format karting. In any class you get in you will have the guys that have been doing it for the last 6-20+ years and have it mostly figured out. I would be doing you a disservice if I didn’t tell you to seriously consider the LO206 to begin with. Also think about some rental league if you have access to it.

1 Like

In all honesty, will have a look at the lo206 again. I’m just a noob right now and I’m thinking of diving into the fast action without considering first lol i guess we’ve all been there. Its like some guys at my local rc plane field comes and asks questions. How fast does your jet go? How far can they fly? How much? Etc etc. And ironically my answer is start off with a trainer aircraft or even a simulator.

[There are some stands that more or less stand the kart on the rear bumper.] Excellent. A vertical stand would work perfectly. I hope i can find one. I will begin looking into the lo206 and I’ll stop being a knucklehead lol

Hey, so if do get an lo206 will i be able to upgrade in the future? Or are the lo206 is chassis specific?

Easy answer is to go to the local tracks around you, and see what field sizes are popular. That’ll help drive your decision.

I started with rental leagues, then World Formula, then TAG, etc etc.

LO206 is a great place to get started into owning your own kart, because the costs of ownership isn’t high, and the machine isn’t hard to drive. The racing is still very challenging, because there are people who have really gotten their minds around it, so it will be some fun.

(My personal opinion. - You’ll always have a ton of people telling you to race 206, and that does mean that you’ll always have some good field sizes, but after a while, it’s nice to have a fast kart too. I love my 206, but I also like driving something with horsepower. (Fortunately, if you budget properly, you can have both, eventually. :wink: ) )

I own a TAG, because I like going fast without the abuse of a shifter trying to kill me, but I got a TAG after a few years of racing, so I knew that I was going to commit myself to owning one. Most people who start with two-strokes largely get overwhelmed with the performance and maintenance of owning one in their first year, and when they don’t feel encouraged to run one, they fall out of the sport soon after. (Especially if they have a limited budget or are tuning on their own.)

So I also recommend looking into a 206 to get started. If you decide you’re only going to do lapping days, and you don’t run that often, then you haven’t committed a ton of money into something you don’t drive as often as you thought you would.

Its all true. Im looking now into the 206. It looks like a lot of fun especially when drafting and pushing the guy ahead of you. Kinda become a team to get pass a few karts lol

Not to meantion my tires will last longer.

Okay so an lo206 isn’t considered a TAG?

TAG is touch and go (ie electric starter).

It’s sort of turned into a catchall for 125cc two stroke single gear karts with starters (rotax/x30/leopard/rok).

Lo206 is pull start like a lawnmower.

2 Likes

RE: tag see Dom’s post above.
You really don’t want a kart with no ability to start onboard. It’s a pain in ways.
KT100’s primarily use an external starter.

LO206 has no battery in the main kart itself - another plus. You still have a battery in your mychron or other add on, but that is the same for all karts. If you go LO206 you can rotate the pull handle 90* and it pulls easier from the drivers seat.

Doing things in karting by one’s self has it’s issues.

2 Likes

Chris, I have just started karting recreationally at Andersen in a Rotax. The guys at Andersen are very knowledgeable and friendly - certainly worth a visit before you shell out for and x30 or L206.

2 Likes

Most chassis are not specific to TAG or lo206. That being said, there are starting to be lo206 specific chassis.

I run recreationally for the most part with my karts. Returned to active Karting in 2013. Last raced in 1965 (age 15) 100 cc modified 2-cycle. I purchased something I was familiar with and wanted an electric starter in the event of a one kart at track day. I got an air-cooled 125cc TaG (IAME Easykart engine) kart. What surprised me were the size and weight of modern karts. My mid-60s kart weighed 100 pounds, rear axle width 36”. Modern 150-170 pounds, 48”-55” rear width. When I race the LO206, kart with weights is at 210 pounds.

In 2015 purchased a LO206 kart to race. Done only a couple of races (due to highway construction / highway stoppage crashes) makes for a very long day. In the end of 2016, I acquired a 125cc Honda Moto Shifter at the end of 2016. I’ll take one or two of the karts out for a play day and have gotten together with other recreational drivers I’ve met, vintage and modern, and we have a great time.

1 Like