Doug Sharp's DAP\TKM150 Build for Bill Mclaughlin

Another one too good to let fall into facebook obscurity:

1 Like

Really beautiful and had me immediately on ebay looking for old chassis.

1 Like

I have chassis available for restoration , I also have arrive and drives available for all vintage events both sprint & Enduro .
I have a huge inventory of parts & Engines . Interested parties can IM message me for details .
Thanks
Doug Sharp

1 Like

Thanks Doug. Why don’t you tell us more about how this kart came together. Origin of the motor, chassis and so on.

Contact must have been no joke back in those days.

My customer purchased the kart and engine last year sometime . He asked me to restore the kart and engine for his collection and VKA racing events here in the east .

The chassis was in extremely rough shape but the engine was a almost new factory TKM 150 . I had to cut off all the bearing carriers and lengthen the main frame rails 5 “ . I welded on new cassette carriers and a brake mount, converted the kart to a 1 1/4 axle . I changed the wheelbase to 41.5 inches . The front of the chassis I converted the spindles from 15mm to 17mm widening the front tract 2” .

The seat stays and front seat mounts were changed as well so I could move the seat to run inside drive for the clutch . The brakes were changed to Ives - Ripley rear caliper and 7 1/4 vented brake disk . The front brakes are Hegar mini disks controlled with a bias adjuster , and two Ives - Ripley master cylinders .
I had to modify a aluminum fuel tank to fit the kart , I needed a 7 quart tank fuel tank for methanol . The seat is a Top kart flat bottom .

The engine was modified by adding two auxiliary exhaust ports like modern KF kart Engines and the factory 5 ports were modified to case feed instead of piston fead like it came from the factory

Then cases were line bored and tried Top & bottom . I installed a Buller 102 mm rod and a Buller - Mike Colver 32mm Carb on the engine . The engine dynoed in at 42 hp with 28 foot pounds of torque at 10500 RPM . A Burco 4 shoe clutch with a chrome drum and a billet cover to put the power to the ground .

The entire project took me 7 months to complete .

2 Likes

I bet! I’m glad you shared that story because there’s so much more detail than meets the eye, even down to the modern porting on the TKM and the modified wheelbase. :+1:

Is this kart for sale?

I think @eddiegofast built this for Bill McLoughlin’s vintage museum. But he’s always building unique suff.

Need a set of those spindles.

1 Like

I just met Doug at the CERAland practice track in Columbus, IN. Really nice guy that let me kinda freak out over a KF engine he had on a super cool kart chassis out there. I had my KA to help out someone that was brand new to karting, and then he pulled up with his trailer and wheeled that thing out.

He also had a Rotax and a couple super cool vintage TKM karts that were seriously quick as well.

1 Like

very beautiful kart and resto job ,as usual your work is very nice ,and for me it is very inspiring to say the least,again very nice ,and thanks for sharing