Elon Musk and Twitter reminds me of what Rob Howden did to ekartingnews

Elon Musk and Twitter reminds me of what Rob Howden did to ekartingnews.

So Elon Musk buys Twitter, and now is trying to change it to conform to his beliefs, and now everybody hates it.

Seems exactly like when Howden bought ekartingnews and changed everything.

What do people think?

everybody hated twitter before musk bought it

1 Like

Wait, did ekartingnews used to also actively keep actual race results and other information from being reported? :grin:

Wait, what? What an odd take.

Rob and DC have more passion in their pink fingers than most people in karting. I wasn’t aware everyone hated EKN. In fact, I’ve never heard anyone say that before.

There was a mass-exodus of EKN’s forums when they switched to the new format, which all the old-school karters really hated. Other than that I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Typical karters; love to stir the pot and tear down the people who actually give a sh*t about this sport.

7 Likes

Someone is high. EKN and Howden/Cole are great. :rofl:

2 Likes

Did you actually read the ekn forums after they changed the site? He went and deleted all the comments complaining about the changes to the forums. EKN forums were so widely visited, that posts used to actually show up in Google searches before he changed the site. It was THE go to place for the free exchange of info on karting on the web.

He took ekn which was great, and turned it into his terrible magazine: Shifter Kart Illustrated. EKN has just turned into a place for kart shops and manufacturers to advertise.

Have you heard him annouce races? He just yells and sounds like that fool Alex Jones.

Yeah now that Musk bought it all the COVID deniers will love Twitter again.

Since it seems like you’re serious and not 100% trolling, this topic is old news. EKN forums have been a ghost town for years, and I’m sure that was part of the opportunity for the KP forum to grow.

As a racer I get value out of EKN’s previews, race reviews, podcast, etc. Why do you care if karting companies also use the platform to advertise their goods and services? Ad revenue is a critical component to EKN’s business.

Do you even know Rob?

2 Likes

Howden is the self-appointed messiah of North American karting.

Riddle me this. If somebody LOVED karting as much as he does, would you destroy the single biggest way for karters to exhange information? Would you destroy that and replace it with a website that is just a place to display press releases from kart manufacturers and kart shops?

Look at this guy. He posts a picture of himself like a true egomaniac. He could have just posted a shot of the Skusa logo or the Supernats banner. Instead he needs a shot of himself posing in front of it.

Bruh, it’s an article about HIS experience at the race. :rofl:

I think Twitter is a Stockholm syndrome case study. There’s two parties. Those who hate it and those who love it because they hate it.

Before this thread gets inevitably locked down, I can say something about the old EKN Forums, since I’ve spend so many (too many) years there.

Yes, the change in the forum section put a huge dent to the traffic to that place. But traffic was decreasing there before the change even happened. The big reason was the (unfortunate) migration from bulletin board-style forums to social media sites like Facebook.

But one other thing that caused the EKN Forum to unravel was their “OFF TOPIC” section, like so many other forums have. At first, they didn’t have a rule about no inflammatory topics like “politics and religion” like other places. And around 2008, things started getting ugly with the politics. It got so nasty it started spilling over to the regular karting sections of the forum.

Eventually they did put a stop to the outside politics, but the bad blood did its damage, and things were never the same after.

It’s obvious you’re trolling the forum by taking a couple a shots with a political bent in this thread. And before things start to get out of hand here I hope they put a stop to it before we have another political war that tears this place apart.

1 Like

Forget my opinion. These are Google Trends results showing how he ruined the site after buying it. Look at the huge drop in interest.

I believe this Trends “data” may be Russian disinformation.

You know what I like. Somewhere to go and not deal with politics. Move on

1 Like

This thread is for sure getting locked but first, why are you all of a sudden bringing up a topic that occurred literally years ago? EKN’s forum revamp was a disaster and I think both Rob and DC would agree that it didn’t go as planned, but to somehow equate them deleting negative topics 10 years ago to Elon Musk and Twitter is a bizarre far-fling comparison.

Sounds like Rob lives rent-free in your head for some reason. I don’t know what he did to you for you to obsess over him like this, but you may want to try looking inward and figuring out what sort of emotional deficit or past trauma is causing you to lash out and attack someone who largely projects positivity and passion about karting. He’s literally just a nice guy who likes karting and somehow you’re twisting that up into some odd projection of egomania on his part. Once you figure that out and let go of it, I think you’ll be a happier person.

I hope that by locking this thread I don’t get accused of being an egomaniac in 10 years on some random forum.

-thread locked.

5 Likes

Is it locked or do i have special access :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can we agree to keep politics and karting separate. One is mentally taxing, the other is finacially taxing. And above all else, I hate taxes . . . lock this thread.

1 Like

A discussion about how EKN has changed over the years is a good one to have. But this particular topic is not an example of the standard of discussion we have as a community.

The big changes in 2013 (Coined EKN 2.0 at the time) definitely fueled kartpulse starting off a couple of months later. At the end of the day, EKN is a small team with a full time job of having to travel all around the country covering races. Add managing a website and forums on top of that and it’s a lot to manage.

Critical analysis and debate as it pertains to karting is always welcome here. Tracks, series, drivers, business, these forums, even me… all fair game.

I ask that criticism is constructive though.

There’s lots of places on the internet for cheap shots, insults etc and racers are certainly full of opinions. It’s very easy to be a critic, very few take action.

It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

See also:

5 Likes

You could counter that people simply stopped searching for EKN over time as it became more well known. Therefore… less need to search for it.

2 Likes