Engine Sound Difference

Referencing the pull cord for starting is he just waving people not to start him on grid? I see plenty of people do that and start the engine last second

After looking at the vlog, it just feels the guy in POV is slower due to its technique

Iā€™ve had my share of drama, I suppose. Feel bad for the guy getting all bent out of shape to the point of being banned. At some point, you have to realize the problem is you (which is often my damn case). I do sympathize because I have had some noodle heads cheat, pretty sure. I kind of like bringing this kind of stuff to you guys in the moral crisis posts because it forces me to listen to neutral, experienced opinions and typically, Iā€™m the butthead.

1 Like

There was a whole lot that went on. I donā€™t much care about all of the accusations flung around though. Just confirming that the same guy Jorge was crying about is who I am paying attention to.

There were some irregularities with scales and tech that weekend. I donā€™t know the tech details, but I know the scales affected the whole weekend for many of us. There was also a home track driver and friend of the guy that came to Amarillo and was competitive and got tangled up with Jorge. So in his mind the combination of what he thought was inconsistent tech, on track team driving by a non points racer that helped the leader, and what he felt was a hopped up motor from the winner meant there must be an evil conspiracy against him. Pure BS and manufactured drama.

Back to the original inquiry:
What can someone do that would produce a noticeably sharper, exhaust note and mid to top end performance gain?

My guess would be something in the carb
Clip changes the sound a little bit

Does position of muffler matter? You have about an inch or so to play with there, no?

Iā€™ve noticed a couple karts in our club sound different to the majority, they usually arenā€™t winning every race though.

There is definitely some engines that sound different. I think between carb settings and valve lash you can get a distinctive sound without being illegal, Iā€™ve questioned such things in the past however. I have had some wonder about a particular case in our local club where a driver can pull a large gap in the first lap before evening out, but I donā€™t throw the cheat word around lightly. My thoughts in that particular case jump to hot fuel in the line, but itā€™s complete speculation on my part. The tuner/sponsor of the driver is very competitive and sometimes a bit unsportsmanlike. The driver is an outstanding shoe, just interesting how quick out of the gate he is sometimes.

1 Like

Valve setup (particularly exhaust obviously) can have a dramatic effect on exhaust tone.

2 Likes

I just want to reiterate one more time. Zero accusations of cheating from me. This guy is fast and has figured out how to optimize his stuff. I have seen carbs pulled, heads pulled, and flywheels checked at club and regional events he has attended the last 6 months.
All of this is what has me wondering what I could be hearing with what sounds like a different RPM and exhaust note coming off the corners and a much better top end that just keeps pulling up to where most are banging that limiter and stalling out.

2 Likes

100% not claiming this has anything to do with this situation. But, the comment about the limiter had me thinking. Iā€™ve never had tech check my ignition coil on my 206. Iā€™m not familiar with how they work, but my understanding is that the coil is what implements the rev limiter. Is there any modification that can be made to the coil which in theory, could increase the RPM limit of the coil?

Just curious how (or if) the coil can be tested in tech. I donā€™t think you could just inspect the session log in the kartā€™s mychron because the accuracy of the RPM lead is questionable and influenced by a variety of factors.

As for the sound difference, my guess would be some unique valve lash settings. When you adjust the lash, you are effectively changing the cam timing slightly. Perhaps the driver is running with a bunch of valve overlap or something running one of them super tight?

I think Jorge said it was a ā€œLawsonā€ motor fwiw.

Gary ainā€™t gonna risk his reputation putting out a cheater.

4 Likes

Kinda what I am wondering on the valve lash.

His motors may have gone to Lawson at some point??? But the sticker indicates that he has done the work himself under his self sponsorship business name.

As for the coil, the tech at TSRS on that is pretty spotty. They allowed racers to use the telemetry on the kart to confirm limiter instead of using dedicated tach from the tech dept. Our tach was dead due to a damaged wire, and they took a few minutes to figure out how they were gonna measure our rpms without and Alfano or Mychron. :rofl:

A national-level engine might just sound different - right on the edge of the rules, jetted nice and sharp, bolted to a free-rolling kart that isnā€™t loading it up on exit.

Agreed 100% our entire club is pretty much on Garyā€™s stuff dude is standup and just flat out knows the game!

At the Canadian nationals this year, an engine was found with an illegal camshaft. It was shipped that way from Briggs.
There was a tech rep from Briggs who broke the seal to check the part number.

I canā€™t comment on the sound difference (wasnā€™t paying attention to that) but he was able to pull off the field by several 10ths per lap.

I know the driver and family fairly well, it wasnā€™t anything they even knew about. Heā€™s still a top runner with a ā€œlegalā€ engine

Did Briggs compensate him for that? That would suck to just have your engine deemed illegal and the seal broken without any compensation! I feel like Briggs should have replaced it for him.

@Charles_Kaneb With the LO206 there is just so little that can be tuned it makes people question. For example, you canā€™t change jetsā€¦must be BS original with 0.95 stamped on it. No stamp, doesnā€™t matter how it techs, they can toss youā€¦saw the lack of stamp on a jet that passed take a P2 at a regional this year.

Did some investigating this weekend and believe I have an idea on some of what is going on. I think an extreme exhaust lash is involved and a big part of the sound differentiator. Lash is so big, they are on the edge of the pull start relief not engaging enough. It is a tough pull to start!