Essentials for rain day?

I wonder if it’s possible to be simultaneously dehydrated and drenched.

1 Like

I will find out soon

For some reason the club allowed choice on what rain tires to use. I didn’t know the differences so I used up my old MGs during practice and went on to new Le cont purple rain tires for qualifying. Little did I know, it’s 2 seconds off Bridgestones, 1.5 Hoosier and mg, and 1 second off Le cont rain whites. Pretty fumed. Qualified 19th out of 25, whereas I’m normally top 5. I don’t see a point in racing with such slow tires. I’m the only one on them

Does this work well for slicks in dry to damp changing conditions?
Tried the technique in my road car today for grins. Seems to work in reasonable speed neighborhood applications too.

Yes, and Arguably even more so because your chassis is setup to work in the dry, so the rear is going to be pretty planted, making the front end plow.

Here’s a video of mine from a few years ago. Not a great example (esp the grass bit :joy:), but might give a sense of how much lock you might have to add as the track gets wetter and loses grip. TJ wasn’t kidding when he said some drivers are VERY timid in the wet.

You can hear the engine starts ingesting water too, running a straight filter vs an airbox.

What ended up happening when I was on the slow tires was that I’d be able to go full lock into nearly every turn, and no matter what I did I could rotate the kart. So I was still under steering on apex and even exit. So when I tried to get on power the engine would big down due to the fronts keeping the kart from accelerating. I’m sure I could’ve done it better but that’s what I found. I had difficulty in braking consistency and rotation in off camber corners

Sounds like you were screwed with the tires. Open rain tire is always gonna be a sh*tshow.

What kart adjustments did you guys make for the rain?

1 Like

2 spacers each on the front, minimum width in the rear, And +1 caster I believe

I was surprised this didn’t come up with this thread in the past but is it recommended to pretreat or treat electrical components and connections with something to displace water. I know some will coat everything with WD-40. Looking for other ideas.

Dialectic grease in harness connectors if you’re worried about it. I only worry about covering the air filter.