Excessive amount of added weight (Needed)

What slide do they run for cadet? Our Briggs Cadets run red slide at #235.

Cadet runs a green slide. I thought the kid kart did too but they don’t according to the CKNA rulebook. With CKNA gaining in popularity, it seems like even the local tracks are starting to tech by the CKNA rulebook here in FLorida.

Kid Kart:

Briggs and Stratton 206 Engine
Stock Black Junior Slide (Part#555728)
RLV #5507 Pipe
Kid Kart Chassis: 200 lbs, kart and driver
Cadet Chassis: = 215 lbs, kart and driver
Ages 5-8 years old
• 365 day waiver does not apply for younger drivers in this class. Must be at least 5 years old by competition date.
17/57 Gear Ratio
Clutch: MaxTorque Part#555727 only
Dry Tires: Vega VAH 4.60 Front, 4.60 Rear
No rain tires for Kid Karts
Max Tire Circumference: 33.75” (At ambient temp.)
CIK style bodywork and seats only

Sportsman: (aka-Cadet)

Briggs and Stratton 206 Engine
Green Slide, max opening .490” (Part#555470)
265 lbs, kart and driver.
Ages 8-12 years old
Dry Tires: Vega VAH 4.60 Front, 4.60 Rear
Wet Tires: Vega w5/w6 4.20 Front, 4.20 Rear
Max Wheel Widths: 5.625 Front, 5.625 Rear
CIK style bodywork and seats only *2020’s bodywork, seat and wheel widths rules will be used in the North Division through Sept. 2021.

Ok, so your sportsman fits between our cadet and Jr lite.

Cadet red slide 235#
Jr lite blue slide 265#

I’m in the same boat. Needed to add 60lbs of lead to my kart to meet min race spec. The weights, by the rule book, need to be white. My local track/shop orders them special, and they’re bloody expensive! I had the same thought…go to a dive shop and buy bare lead dive weights, and get a can of Plasti-Dip in white. To my surprise, the dive shop was NO CHEAPER than just getting the weights from the kart shop!! So I just shelled out over $200 at the shop. :roll_eyes:

Can you wear weights on a sort of vest? Or does it always need to be attached to the kart?

Most series require to be bolted to the seat or a few others like the front footwell and maybe the floor pan in between gas tank and seat is wear ive ran mine.

I’ve seen weight vests in rental races. Generally not allowed in owner kart series I believe.

My nightmare scenario for this is a wreck involving a small driver in Masters Shifter.

SKUSA sets the class weight at 405 lbs, but I’ve seen local-class weights as high as 420 lbs. With a 130-lb driver that’s a 275-290 lb kart. What happens when that flips? Forget the injuries from the wreck, I’d be worried about the poor bastard suffocating before we could get three men over there to lift the kart off…

1 Like