FIA Karting License - Kart City Hosting KZ1 - Ireland 2025

Whats license requirements is there for FIA Karing, mainly KZ2 Masters.

I see there coming to a track local to me and would like to enter it, to tick an event like that off the bucket list.

From memory I have a National B license. Assumming I need to upgrade this to an international license or something?

Hold on a sec. I thought Kart City was a car park for rental cars now?

MI might be the best bet to get concrete info on the license. I suspect you’ll need Nat A for sure, but they might be able to waive intl.

Got me a bit miffed too.

@kzcomp can you be a little more specific about what you’ve heard?

I’ve actually never been to Kart City. It was never open when I raced now or in the past.

Kartpaddock had a instagram post annocing its reopen and that it will host the FIA CIK KZ/KZ2 World Championship in 2025. Assuming its just a round.

I thought about going there last time I was back in Ireland in oct last year, but figured it was still a “parking lot” for rental cars. It first hosted competition karting in 1999 until 2001 ish. I worked there around the same time period. There were a couple more events later when the track changed hands from the Lennon family… around 2007 ish?

I think only one race was RIAC (MI now) and then the others were IKC only. The track was great to drive (1200M long) but gave no room for error. You were either in a wall or gravel if you got offline. It was more like a street track. This is the layout we raced in 99-01. It really was a savage layout with the 90 deg rights, the ant hill drop after the big straight (Think Watergrasshill first corner entry speed) and the banked turn on the infield. I have poor quality video somewhere…

Ant hill:

I’d guess it’s going to be a new layout maybe. Thinking back though, making any changes were a nightmare due to the DAA getting involved… Here’s why :smiley:

Anyway, definitely keep us posted, I’m very curious to see where this goes. When I searched “Kart city FIA 2025” this topic was the #2 result :smiley:

The date on the post tells all.

1 Like

Well I hadn’t heard of kartpaddock covering Irish karting until this week so that’s something. Since we’re talking about Kart City anyway… I uploaded a shaky video my dad took in… 2001. It’s pieced together from different clips because half the time he was filming the sky :joy:

Peak RPM 19,700. Crankpin left the chat later that day :joy:

2 Likes

What a noise!

Time will tell, I guess.

The post on Instagram was an April Fools.

Never noticed the post date… got me anyway :joy:

I never even found the post. Good detective work.

To be fair I was wondering why it would come over to Ireland :joy:

Would be an experance to do an FIA event all the same.

1 Like