Front Torsion Bars

Flat bar horizontal is the softest metal bar. Flat bar vertical is the stiffest metal bar. Flat bar 45 degrees would be medium.

You are correct assuming the flat bar could be tuned multiple angles to change flex. That’s the beauty of it. However, some people don’t like the vagueness of setting a bar at an angle by eye, so some people prefer the repeatability of having round bars that are always the same every time you put them in. I have this debate with teammates all the time.

Some people also feel like the front end reacts differently with an angled flat bar in the front compared to a round bar.

I’ve actually done some simulation work on bar stiffness and how it effects the kart. You modifying torsional rigidity (i.e. the amount of force needed to twist the front in the opposite direction to the rear).

For the OTK models front bar location, if you used a piece of chassis (the gold bar), you are increasing torsional rigidity by about 20%.

1 Like

Compared to the flat bar or compared to not having any bar in?

1 Like

Compared to no bar. I didn’t model a flat bar to try it out before free simulation was yanked away. Too busy modelling other things :wink:

Gotcha, that’s cool, interesting to know. Now when my drivers try to convince me to completely remove the front bar from an OTK, I can tell them they are reducing torsional rigidity by 20%.

Calvin Klein underwear?

1 Like

I found the torsional rigidity of Tommy Hilfiger to be more appropriate

5 Likes

Be sure to subscribe to Nik’s OnlyFans account in the new year.

5 Likes

I had to go look up what OnlyFans was, I regret it.

1 Like

Yikes, that’s a risky Google.

2 Likes

Fortunately I had to pay, I mean would of had to pay…

3 Likes

If I simply loosen the torsion clamps and leave the bar in place, would that do anything or does the entire bar need to be removed?

2 Likes

If you want the bar loose but don’t want to take it all the way out, just unclamp one side so it isn’t connecting both frame rails. If you just loosen the clamps, they’re likely to vibrate off and soon you’ll have a bar floating around by your feet.

1 Like

If you remove the bar on a OTK, go straight on a jig…

There shouldn’t really ever be a reason to pull the front bar out totally on an OTK.

I thought you always had a bar floating around your feet :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

This topic is completely unsalvageable. :joy:

2 Likes

Beige TonyKart bar is the stiffest of the three - pick it up, then the grey, then the chrome, and you can tell the difference.

1 Like

My old Margay handled best with a maple front torsion bar!

I never liked the way my TonyKart drove with the flat bar in any position - it flexes more side-side if it’s vertical, and more up-down if it’s horizontal.

2 Likes

When I put the torsion bar in the front of my 1973 Mayko Shark, it solved a lot of handling problems. No more bump steering.

As an odd coincidence to this discussion, currently there is a glitch (in KartKraft) that involves running max torsion bar. It’s secondary to the glitch, working as intended to deal with unnatural grip conditions.

1 Like