Fun kart. Rok GP or X30?

Title says it. I’m gonna build a fun kart and want to know what would be the better choice. Let me know what’s straight up more fun and if there are any maintenance advantages to one or the other.

1 Like

Depends on where you are. Rok has a big presence in FL from what I understand. X30 is pretty widespread.

I would say in terms of “fun” they’re going to feel about the same.

I think in your next of the woods you’ll have a better time sourcing parts and tuning advice with the X30, and if you do decide to race it you can take it anywhere.

If you want something just for pounding laps, why not get something really fun like an old ICA or an 80cc shifter or even a JICA engine would be cool.

1 Like

For a fun kart, you could find old Yamaha KT 100 for a song and a dance, for example.

2 Likes

I have a ROK Gp but for a fun kart I’d go with an X30, easier to source parts, service, etc. They also sell all the special tools you need pretty readily, I’ve had trouble getting some tools for the GP. But in the end it depends on where you are and what you want.

2 Likes

My old kart, was with a SuperRok (same motor as GP, just with a little more power) My new is with x30. I would go with x30 anytime…

1 Like

Define fun? If that means TAG performance with low maintenance the Rotax FR125 is very hard to beat.

2 Likes

I second James on the “define fun” bit.
What are you planning on running it on and where?
I just got the Gp and coming from an older Iame Leopard, the mid-range torque is phenomenal! That said, I know the iame motors are very low maintenance. So, its a bit of a trade off. More maintenance or more power!

1 Like

Good point. Any pointers on where to find an ICA? I generally am looking for something with a bunch of power and low maintenance.

I like the kt100 but it’s a little slow.

Just a bunch of power and low maintenance. Not going to enter races with it, just pound laps to put a grin on my face!

Rotax Max is the answer honestly for $/laps ratio. See if you can get a “pre evo” model which is no longer envogue

1 Like

I know Jamie at Franklin had some PCR ICA stuff sitting around at one point.

Gear that thing down and reliability shouldn’t be too bad.

Otherwise Mike Giessen is the guru for 80s and 90s stuff, he might have something cool too.

2 Likes

Speaking of which, there is a brand “new” vintage twin DD (I think) in the OVRP pro shop. Looks absolutely wicked with the dual engines and no sidepods. The 70s were an interesting time.

1 Like

One can not simply have an ICA and not rev the nuts off it.

3 Likes

ICA is not low maintenance. And it is direct drive so you will have to push start and jump in. It ain’t too easy to do by yourself.