G-sum math channel as gauge of lateral gs

I understand that the g-sum peaks pretty much line up across a lap and that peak value represents what you are getting out of your kart load wise.

Is there a general rule of thumb as to what represents too much or too little? In general my peaks are around 1.8g. Or, are tire compounds so varied that there’s not much you can infer?

I’ve not heard of a rule of thumb for g-sum. I assume that the max g-force would depend on track surface, tire compound, the amount of HP plus the amount of speed carried into a turn. What are you running?

I am running LeCont Whites / X30.

It is true that the peaks there all line up at around 1.8g. So that’s telling me, for whatever reason, I seem to be most loaded up at around there. You would think, then, that peaks beyond that represent slides or something that shocks the system.

However, the peak overall at 1.98 g’s occurred on a very fast downhill sweeper, which throws that idea out the window. The camber was neutral but downhill, but maybe my eyes deceive me and there’s a tilt to the turn that really compresses the hell out of the kart. So lets assume the idea still holds merit.

I can see this being useful by having someone else’s data to compare against. I would expect that being able to identify which driver is using “more” of their kart in a given turn gives some actionable intel when paired alongside other stuff like line, speed, rpm, etc.

I’m just fishing around for info on how to use this info. Seems like it would be good to know and understand.

In my experience, I’ve shied away from using G sum as it shows maximum G utilized, but that is less informative to me than looking at lateral and longitudinal G traces.

With that said, comparing data from another driver is very helpful, whether using G sum or simply both channels as standard. Often, the contours of these lines and of course placement can tell you immensely helpful information!

I would also suggest that your other laps from a similar session can be used to compare against your own. Often, people overlook this as an option to improve when they don’t have another driver to work with. No one runs the same lap twice in a row, and therefore each lap is sort of like running against another driver, at least for the purposes of critiquing ones-self.

Good point! Thanks for putting it that way.

1 Like

Not only would I imagine Max Gs would vary widely between different compounds, but would significantly change over the course of a race day regardless what tire is used, due to increase of tire buildup on the track surface (affecting grip). Likewise, and overnight rain shower that washes the rubber off the track, would drastically change track grip from day to day, and thus Max Gs as well.

True. There’s a turn I struggle with. I am guessing I am throwing it too hard in there. I suspect that if I pull data from a hot shoe, that what I’ll see in g-sum will be interesting.

I am guessing I’m wasting energy there and his gsum will paint a different picture.

That being said, I think it would have to be same session and tires.

I think that gsum channel can give an idea about grip as well. Sometimes we setup our kart to improve grip in the corner but there is a optimal point that frequently we passby increasing the laptime due to excess of grip. Maybe gsum can help us somehow to understand f we passed the optimal grip index.