Getting into karting with Swiss Hutless

Welcome to the getting started category! To get the best answers for you, we recommend you answer the questions below.

We also highly recommend two books written by members of our very own community:

Karting 101

Learn how to Master the Art of Kart Driving

You can delete this text when you’re done with your post.

Where are you located?

Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

What age bracket are you in? Junior (<16), Senior (16+) or Masters (30+)

Masters

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your mechanical ability, or willingness to wrench on things?

10 but knowledge on karting is 0 currently :smiley:

Talk a little about your racing experience so far.

Did a few track days with a FF hatchback 10 years back

What’s the main thing you need help with to get you started.

What do we know about the Swiss Hutless Magic cart? I think it comes with a Rotax Max engine.
Its an old cart so what should I be looking out for while karting? Is it ok to really push this?

Welcome. Swiss gutless (autocorrect is too perfect so I’m leaving it) is a well regarded manu. The kart is older but if it still runs, have at it! That being said, would probably be a good idea to have a shop or someone experienced give it a good going over.
Karts are fiddly to begin with. This one appears to have some years on it. Get brakes checked (pads/bleed) and everything else.

Buy some new tires if those are old. They are probably old and slippery.

thanks dom. cant wait to give this a run… thinking of rebuilding it with a new color and livery having it like new again… what do you think? :joy:

Those plastic parts around the car in red - are those replaceable? Are they the same architecture with other branded carts?

I’m not a very tech savvy guy mechanically but those safety bits are not current bodywork. That being said, I suspect you can adapt newer bodywork or source the older style somehow used?

https://cometkartsales.com/Bodywork/

(Body bits evolve over time and change with rules set. But, for us club guys, pretty much anything goes, gen-wise.)

You can get the frame powder coated for probably a couple hundred?

Since you are a 10 mechanically, tear that kart down and rebuild it. Clean along the way. Get familiar with all the “bits”. Someone else may say that’s not necessary and it probably isn’t but what other exciting plans do you have for the winter months? Also, do you really want to find out if it’s sorted whilst bouncing off limiter at end of straight?

Also, you can design and buy sticker kits if you want to go crazy.

yes, nerf bar spacing on the chassis was standardized somewhere around 2006ish.

So i got the kart cleaned up and all, changed the tires and seats… thrashed it out during one of the track days. everything was good…

some pics when i first collected it before the cleanup >

after the cleanup, spray painted the exhaust, changed the seats all looking super >

track day & worn sprocket >

Wow. Spit and polish works! Nice work. Enjoy.