Getting my 7 y/o Started in Karting

I believe they are able to have specific com systems in them. but the comm systems tend to be low profile, so they may also work on her helmet

We tried earbuds, butt the tips are still too big for her little ears. I found some headphones with ear loops to keep them in place, I think those will work. After playing around with the voicebox mic, I was able to use her helmet strap to keep them pressed against her throat. That was a big improvement on hearing her. Now we just have to put it all together.

Update:

I was watching a YT video on a race school for kids at the Orlando Kart Center. So I called my local track and they have a short 1:1 race course. Not sure how in-depth it is, but I’m going to sign her up to do it in the coming weeks.

Hey Dean,
I have been to OKC a few times as Orlando has typically been a stop for our National sales conference. I have 2x now gone there and arranged a day on their speedy karts and rental karts. It is a terrific facility with a really lovely rental Racing program. Totes jealous of your daughter! She will likely have a grand old time there.

The only downside is that it is smack dab in the middle of an automotive salvage yard so it’s not exactly pretty. Hopefully she is not a demanding aesthete.

Here’s the short rental track layout:

Here’s the “speedy” kart on the full track:

1 Like

Called Orlando, they want $350 for a 4 hour kid course. (on here own kart) :astonished:

Called my local track, said they’d do it for $35 per hour. (on their karts or mine) :+1:

She will be #214

She is my Valentines Day baby, so it seemed appropriate.

Cute. I gotta 10-4 good buddy. :rofl:

Hmmm. I didn’t learn about their teaching programs. What struck me about OKC was their rental racing league with normal rentals for the new folks and the speedy karts for the more experienced. Most places just have the normal rentals.

I meant to ask, what engine are the “speedy” karts running?

The elbow killer: Honda GX 390! :sunglasses:
Tony kart frames basically. No rental safety stuff. Tires like lecont reds. Maybe just a touch more grip than necessary.

My older brother was in Orlando for a couple of years before relocating to Boca. He told me about going out to OKC a few times. He is a former SCCA racer and fell in Love with the place. He never mentioned the different karts available. Not sure he knew they were available for that matter. So, is it like DKC when you hit a certain target time, you are allowed to take the big boys out?

I am not really sure how it works, but it would likely be based off of some sort of proving of ones mettle. These are regular Tonykarts that differ only in that they have a rental engine on it, therefore are fragile.

Looking at their website, they have all sorts of cool stuff happening. This League of Legends series sounds very cool:
https://orlandokartcenter.com/league-of-legends/

This seems to be a rental place that has a deep program on the racing side. Also, owner karting. It’s not your regular rental joint. Its more like a business model that sought to present well as a “recreational kart” facility while also being a “owner-racer” place. They have a shop and also sell karts. It kind of rings all the bells. It’s location in the middle of an auto salvage yard is kind of unique, however.

Personally, I understand why your bro loved the place. It’s got something for every level and a ladder for all of it. Oh, and the rental karts were pretty decent, too. And the guy who worked there, Matt, is one of the five fastest guys I know in sim, matched only by Tanguy, and I bet was a monster back in the day against Ryan and gang on the Florida Tour… It is a racer’s kind of place. Like DKC with a weirdly commercial, family-friendly front end.

My Daughter went through a short race course, and I was blown away how fast she picked things up. They cleared the track and everyone there took to the fences and began cheering at the 7 year old as she went around a real race track for the first time.

After a few laps with the instructor on the short course, she transitioned to big track. As I was entering turn 4, she actually initiated a pass ON ME because, and I quote, “you were going to slow”! :flushed: :rofl:

It’s amazing how fast kids can pick things up at this age. I tried to get a video but we got rained out and had to cut the day short. But talk about amazed. I thought it would take months to get her where she got to in literally minutes with a little instruction. Totally blown away by this kid right now.

IMG_0952

4 Likes

SHORT CLIP

After the track got rained out within 15 minutes and her first officlal track day got canceled. Today was much better, so this is the 8 year old on her maiden run for the 2nd (1st) time. She got more than 3 hours of track time today. She had alot of fun. I told her just turn laps, don’t worry about going fast.

4 Likes

Took her to the track again, no kidding, I think she did 90 laps and only went off track once (during the 1st lap). How long should she practice before entering her in a race? My fear is her wrecking into another kid. These karts are cheap after all.

She is all over me about entering a real race.

So what we do in France at least is a full year of practice before a first race.

1 Like

My dad made me practice until I was quick and consistent enough to not get lapped. So I did just practice days for about half a season.

2 Likes

I think TJ has a point, but at the same time if she is pushing to get into a race I say let her. Sometimes the most progress is made when you are on track with others not just turning laps by yourself. She may get a little discouraged, but it may also be the catalyst she needs to get better.

1 Like

It’s such a very personal thing for both parent and driver. If she’s seen what the racing in her class looks like and you think she’s got enough spacial awareness to be safe I think it worth pondering.

1 Like

100% agree, that’s where she’s gonna learn most.