Getting Racefit - Spin Bikes (Peloton, Echelon, Bowflex etc)

++ on CrossFit. Agree on all that you said. Been in CF for 10 years, that is what keeps my old body in karting shape. I like the duration of the WOD or Work Out of the Day are on the average 15 to 20 minutes about the same as a Heat or Main.

1 Like

Well my boy is all signed up and starts boxing on Wednesday night! He’s excited, hopefully he enjoys it and get some improved fitness and some mental toughness along the way.

2 Likes

Good luck to him. Don’t roll those wrists!

1 Like

I would think that your neck will sort itself out naturally with time spent in kart. I have done a bunch of really long stints in enduros and my neck seems good without additional training. I don’t really lart that much either, like once or twice a month maybe.

Seems like once you get it to a certain point it’s fine. Being out of the seat for so long probably weakened you.

But maybe I have strong neck or something.

Rental karting is not nearly as physical as something with more speed and a stickier tire.

I always have to do neck stuff before the season starts for a couple months to get strong again, or my head will fall off after one day of racing.

If you’re looking to strengthen your neck, put your helmet on and lay on your back on your bed with your head hanging off the edge and curl your chin up to your chest. I do like 50 of these with my helmet on and then like 100 laying on my sides and another 50 laying on my stomach.

I realized after writing that I have not been on sticky tires in a while. Yea x30 was harder. I would imagine hours long x30 would be a bit hard.

So back in the day when I was in KF3, my workout routine was :

Week days :

• 1h cardio (160-170bpm), eliptical or mormal bike at the gym
  • 1h core and arm training, at the gym

Weekends :

• 20-30km biking

Everyday :

• 80 pushups with the feet elevated

I would recommend some simulator with a DD also, even if you are fit.

I’ve found rental karting to be decent enough for conditioning. I don’t think I’d totally dismiss it.

Sure, it’s not quite the same intensity but you’re still using and stretching the same muscle groups and and joints.

From that standpoint it has advantages over other forms of exercise. Throw an endurance race in the mix for fun and your body will be used to the abuse that a Peloton just can’t dish out.

I’ve even seen some people attach wheel weights to a spare helmet to up the ante for neck training.

By itself, it’s probably not enough to be ideal but a little can go a long way if you’re short on time and hate working out.

Ultimate Frisbee, 2 hours 2 nights per week and a tournament every other month, plus floor workouts and jogging.

I can take any experienced Ultimate player, put them directly into a TaG kart for a full race day, and they will still be in good condition at the end of the feature.

Oh yeah, rental karts are a workout for sure, particularily for those not already “kart fit”.

But, I had forgotten how much more demanding x30 was when I wrote that.

My recent solo 3hr rental race was fatiguing and it took a couple days to be not sore. In an x30, my head would have come off.