Getting Started in Karting LO206 or Rok?

So I am new to karting and am planning on starting out with LO206 karts for my first season. I’m probably going to rent a lo206 kart for the first couple of races, but I was wondering if there was a possibility to race like one season in lo206 karts that I rent and then switch to the Rok senior class. I just feel like since Rok is where I want to end up then I should just focus on purchasing a Rok kart instead of a lo206.

Also, could anyone tell the average durability of the Rok engines and the average cost per season racing in Rok senior?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Easy peasy assuming you have lo206 and TAG available in the area. Same chassis would be fine for both.

Im not familiar with cost to run ROK.

So is it possible to buy a lo206 kart and race in the lo206 class and then switch the engine for a rok gp or something similar and race it in Rok senior without buying a new kart?

In principle yes. Pretty much all kart classes that use one engine have the ‘same’ base technical regulations with regard to chassis. There can be differentiations however that may allow for fitment of engines and thus we get slight confusion, which is understandable. For example, and I am no LO206 expert, all the karts I’ve seen have a missing third (middle) bearing hanger. This is common when manufacturers build ‘4-stroke’ models. The LO206 has inboard drive. There also can be issues with stuff like seat mount placement.

Always best just to read the regulations if you are in doubt.

Ok so I looked through the regulations and theoretically if I used the same chassis to race lo206 and Tag I would be fine. However, I read that Rok chassis tend to be slightly heavier, which works fine for Rok competitions but could hurt performance in Lo206 since it has lower hps. I was trying to compare the TonyKart STV 450 (LO206) and TonyKart 401R (Tag and Shifter) just to compare, and although they had similar materials, I’m wondering if the performance when racing lo206 would be worse in a Tag kart, or vice versa. I don’t know if different rear tear sizes, various engine weights, or other kart gear could cause issues.

I know that it is easier to share the same chassis between shifter and tag classes, but would using a shared chassis between lo206 and tag classes work performance-wise?

Thanks again guys!

Here’s a relevant EKN thread: some folks pulling out their hair trying to make it work, some having no problems. It seems woolier than I expected. Dunno why the tone of the thread gets weird. Frustration, I guess.

https://ekartingnews.com/forums/topic/08-otk-tag-chassis-cannot-make-it-work/

If you are completely new to karting and don’t want to deal with this… which engine has the better field? and go for that chassis/engine. If running on a low budget is paramount, lo206 all the way.

Keep in mind that discussion is from 2015. Since then the problem has been mostly solved with offset engine mounts that move the 206 outboard to the right while still being very solid.

Generally it’s not a big problem switching between the two engine types on a chassis.

Something to be aware of is Inboard drive vs outboard drive. The 206 and other four stroke engines have the drive sprocket inwards, towards the seat. Similar to a shifter.

Two strokes are typically the opposite of this.

If you were to buy a chassis with a two stroke engine, check that it has a keyway on the axle so that you can move your axle sprocket carrier inboard. If it doesn’t, you could modify the axle to accommodate, or swap it out.

Sometimes the chain will slap the rear crossbar and grind it, but you can remedy that with some heater hose wrapped around the rail.

Anecdotally, my current 206 kart (Wildkart) has hosted a bunch of different engines over the years: KZ2, CR250, Maxter XF1, Sonic TaG, 100cc aircooled all kinds of stuff.

Thank you for your response! That’s good to hear because I don’t want to be limited just to one class. I can try and find a lo206 kart that can move the axle sprocket carrier outboard and inboard. I do not know very well the parts of the kart yet but I’m sure I can find someone to help me find that specific kart and help me learn the physical parts.

That’s really interesting how you can compete in so many classes without having to change your chassis and only changing engine and some other fixes, but did having a lo206 chassis running as a shifter or tag kart perform differently from a kart using the chassis of its class?

It is not the engine that makes it offset, it is the mount between the engine and the chassis that shifts it over.

Some chassis manufacturers offer 4 stroke and 2 stroke chassis with the biggest difference being the material composition and tubing diameters. Its a bit of a niche market, but the reality is you can be competitive on a general 2 stroke chassis in a 4 stroke class. It comes down more to setup, tires and driving style. We have many LO206 drivers running 2 stroke chassis and there are many to choose from. Best advice is to pick one that has good local support. That way you can get tuning advice specific to your brand and replacement parts when something wears out or breaks.

Personally, if I could rent a 206, and build a ROK, I would. The more you race a chassis, the more you risk something happening to it.

Either that or get a cheap 206 just to run around and learn and build the Rok with your better equipment.

Thank you guys for your insight! I was thinking about renting a 206 but problem is that it costs $300 per race day at most tracks around me, which isn’t horrible. Fields in LO206 senior usually have around 15 racers whereas Rok can have around 8 racers, so that’s why I was gonna focus more on LO206 at the beginning, but just renting it for the first couple of races. I just want to have the option of being able to switch classes for different events.

Thanks again everyone! Hope to see you guys on the track for sure!

1 Like

Good luck and have fun. See you on track.

I purchased a KA chassis and installed a 206 engine, as I intend to race with the KA setup in the future.

2 Likes

Ka is alot of fun. Good call on the lo206 first though, it will teach you how to drive efficiently sooner.

if i was in your situation, i’d try and buy a used 206 setup, unless you only planned to rent about 5 or 6 times. if you’re going to do a season, like 10-15 races, you might as well pick up a used setup. good deals pop up, and i’ve seen some quality full packages from $2K to $3.5K. you’ll get wrench experience, race experience, and if you don’t bust up too much of it, you can most likely get most of your money back should you sell it after the season.

then do the ROK thing.

additionally, i probably wouldn’t buy a 2 stroke chassis for the 206, with the goal to just swap motors when you go to the ROK. just get a 206 chassis and make life easier for yourself, lol. like i mentioned, odds are good you can sell it after the season, and put that money to the ROK kart.

*****edit just noticed the last few posts are 3 years after the initial, and that you got a KA chassis. which chassis did you get?