Hairpin turn in low hp kart

Whee. You can feel the weight moving around the periphery of the kart as it flows through there.

How did you make the line? One of the challenges I have is trying to draw those lines on pictures.

1 Like

Itā€™s not a picture, itā€™s Google Maps my friend. Yes, your American companies are also spying in other countries :wink:

I meant the actual line you drew. What program?

Measure distance in Google Maps (right mouse click). But I bet there is a better way.

1 Like

Ah did not know about that thank you

There it is. I thought itĀ“s Google Maps the moment I saw those hairpins (got carried away, got whole track drawn), as line drawing was so easy, a flipping breakthrough of racing line drawing.

If you wonder why is it a little wider line through it (hairpin), you will probably laugh. There is a bump, a hole in asphalt that you just hit, so I tend to avoid it. Or I could just cross the white line, as there is regular asphalt, but I do not like to risk hitting it, as it will go between the front wheels in that case, a slight understeer and rear wheels will hit it, hindering such an important acceleration before massive straight. If I do something that revs down my engine, it makes me angry at the moment I do it, so maybe I am exaggerating but yeah, definitely feeling it impacts it a bit.

Ok but tighten the apex a touch. Running wide. But that looks generally good overall. I think you might be a bit tight in a couple places but donā€™t know the track.

Edit: oh wait, the bump is between you and apex? Never mind if itā€™s faster to avoid.

Now I think I exaggerated a bit too much but the following bump opened up as this picture is from May, 3 months ago. Expanded somewhere where the arrow is pointing at. Hit is definitely what is felt after going over it:

Haha looks like no one has time for that! Everyone is wide.

Also I am now appreciating how that tire barrier on the exit can influence things.

Might I suggest option 2

1 Like

Late apex? Heā€™d have to sacrifice the grip in the rubber at turn in maybe? Heā€™d have to turn later but not so late. Hmm. Roughly? Yes itā€™s poorly drawn particularly turn in. But itā€™s likely he could avoid the crack/bump.

Hmm, I am not sure about that, these karts loose too much speed after that late brake, not sure what is worse to be honest, a bump that puts revs down a bit or a different, deeper line? :thinking:

So to conclude all the things you guys suggested, almost 10 of them:

1. Go over the rubber 10/10 times, no missing

2. Hit the throttle sooner than it looks reasonable

3. Smooth inputs

4. Lean towards the outside for rear inside to unload

5. Earlier steering to left edge of the track, preparing COG for next turn

6. Keep the motion as one piece, smoother line with kart preloaded for turns to follow

7. Even if it does not feel smooth, it could be

8. Both steering and straightening the wheel are important in COG transfer and speed carried in general

It may sound weird to put it this way, but all of these factors more or less impact the exit speed of the corner and therefore impact the very important, straight-line speed. Do you have any more ideas about this topic, seems like you guys covered quite a bit, do you think there is anything to add?

Yes. Pick one thing. Whatā€™s the most important, in your mind? Thatā€™s too much to focus on at one time.

#2, you totally missed my point. I didnā€™t say to do anything that was not reasonable, or that you felt was not reasonable. Maybe I should have worded it differently, try this. Break in a straight line, as deep as you, reasonably can, or feel is possible, when youā€™ve slowed enough, slow as you think is reasonable, start your turn. At a point in the turn, when you think itā€™s reasonable, get back on the gas, power your way through and out of the corner. Push yourself, try to exceed what you are now thinking is reasonable. Attempt the ā€œunreasonableā€ LOL

Not sure who was I referring to, maybe not you (#2), kind of forgot now haha. Not sure I missunderstood you, but maybe I just did not get you the first time I read the post. Nevermind :smile:. What I wanted to say, just earlier throttle as clutch slips at such low revs, and nothing much happens when you right pedal at the low speed exits so it can only help the turn in, at least that is how I understood that.

Yes, I agree, just helps to bunch all things together so I can analyze them easier.

I would pick the leaning to the outside and
earlier turn to the left edge of the track as I have a feeling that this can really swing the kart nicely into it and actually have a benefit in higher mid-corner and exit speed. What do you think?

Iā€™d go with that then. Whichever resonates with you. Thatā€™s the important bit because that means your mind is open to it.

Also I just re-watched your palā€™s footage on the computer so I could give it an honest viewing.
As a general observation, he looks good to me around the whole track. If heā€™s one of the fast guys, this is a good starting point for you to cherry pick from. His line is nice and he flows it well.

But, it looks to me that in the turn we are discussing he pushes in a bit too hard and has to compensate on the exit. Itā€™s subtle but I feel like in many of laps I can see it. Feels like he has to decelerate a bit mid turn to narrow the exit. (Or boom).

Yes, your review is pretty much on point.

He is nice and smooth all in all and seems to deal much better with that sequence after the hairpin and 2 quick turns than me. Lotā€™s of potential improvement!

He drives a 48,989, which is great, given that he did it during a day. Although that was last year (where the limit for some very experienced drivers was just under 48s), this years track record is 48,122 so he is ranking pretty well comparing to this year times.

What bothers me the most, is that my best time was a flipping 50.125 this year (34th) but it is somehow 2 seconds slower to something ā€œpossibleā€, over a 800m lap. Sounds quite a bit. I still have not driven it during the night and cooler temperatures though.

Now it is 6 in the morning, and tĀ° dropped by 10-15Ā°C just overnight and this seems like a perfect chance to improve the time in very good conditions and with addition of new things learned here!

Also just buying a first pair of gloves today, got some Sparco Track KG-3 for the starters, has anyone tried something similar?

1 Like

Ok man I donā€™t think youā€™ll be running 50s long if you are thinking about dewpoints and barometric pressure. Just do what you are doing and persevere.

A 2s delta to the leader is a big gap which means theres some easy improvement to be had. Do you have sector times? It sounds like you think the time is lost in the 180 and the closing fiasco. Can you borrow a gopro or something so you can see what you are doing?

As a newbie to karting myself, I have nothing of value to add. But, I love how helpful everyone is being. Gives me hope for when I start asking similar questions.

Thatā€™s what we are here for. Racing requires others or its not as much fun. Vested interest getting you up to speed!

@Stacker: I like his turns where the tires make less noise better. This pushing into turns slightly too hard is consistent. Or I am misunderstanding rental kart rubber and the noises they make.

1 Like