Hairpin with KZ

These diagrams are of limited utility because your line will be influenced greatly by the importance of the following straight in relation to how tight the turn is. 180deg turn can vary a lot.

Also that choke point is curious to say the least. Has anyone else seen that style of choking before the apex on track lately?

Generally I would err towards the approach that sacrifices entry speed for exit speed, allowing you to use as much available traction as possible to get the power town and launch out of the turn. Thatā€™s very specific to shifter/gearbox karts though.

1 Like

Youā€™re right but I consider both corner and straight in the microsector, so I can see where Iā€™m faster combinating the corner and the straight

Choking adds a little fuel for the exit in the event of a lean period from light/closed throttle.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m posing the question and asking to go a bit beyond the basics. Choking at that point doesnā€™t make sense because itā€™s going to have very limited effectā€¦

Also, if the carb is setup well, there should be no lean spot. Thereā€™s a myriad of changes that can be made in a VHSH 30, thereā€™s really no need for one. With the pumper style carbs it can be more tricky, but thatā€™s a very different scenario.

Traditionally a KZ would be choked on a wide open throttle. So Iā€™m curious whatā€™s changed to necessitate this new (new to me at least) little choke prior to apex.

@mag3_MEDIA can you explain the choking method following braking in more detail?

1 Like

James, thereā€™s a KZ2 racer from Germany that touches on it in his 3 part ā€œdriving a KZā€ series on YouTube. Iā€™ll take a look and see what I can find.

1 Like

Canā€™t remember which segment choking in a turn is discussed:

I think he is Dutch, a world champ of 10 years ago or so, just pointing out he is not a random dude shelling out crazy advice. As far as the articles, I would rely more on the writeup/interview than the graphs as the may be drawn quickly and for high level visuals, I donā€™t think Camponeschi brakes in the middle of the track or Iglesias stomps on full gas right past mid-point of a hairpinā€¦try that and youā€™ll end up as a spectator by the wall

1 Like

True Andy, I did negate to give him credit where credit is due.

Interestingly enough, was going over data and noticed my EGTs are from the 890s to 1120s. Thinking it may be time to lean the VSHS out.

Absolutely true, thatā€™s why Iā€™m asking if itā€™s the same style but with different graphic render. But what still sound strange to me is that Camponeschi says literally ā€œOn hairpin bends, you need to brake at the center point and then immediately close in towards the insideā€. And I really canā€™t understand why he brake from the center of the track, I canā€™t see the advantage. But if he says this, for sure there is an advantage.

It occurs to me we could just ask him directly. Itā€™s not like heā€™s max or Lewis, he probably manages his social media. I wonder if we could rope him into discussion.

I found the article, he breaks hairpins down into 2 types, U and squaredā€¦the ā€œsquaredā€ is what Iā€™d think is the normal line, my guess is that U is probably what you want to defend your inside from dive bombing as with a KZ you have more room for those maneuvers thanks to the front brakes. So on slow corners you can tighten your line with no ill effects. Just my guess as an amateur driver here

It would be nice, more nicely if you could do this for us :joy:

It could be a good explanationā€¦my thought about racing line is always about the fastest way to do a lap. Next time Iā€™ll try different lines at my home track that is perfect for this aim (it has 2 very tight hairpins) and together with @MuriloBorges we can share our experiences

Same here, thinking theory