Helmet Camera - Brackets

Same here, I’d tend to wear a camera for rentals and club races, for nationals it’s not allowed but helmet always passes scrutineering with the pad stuck to it.

I found a faux Zylon visor strip on eBay a while back. I bought one of those, a spare visor, and stuck a GoPro sticky mount to it.

What about something like this? You would have to nitpick the helmet mounted camera rule wording. Most ppl would never know it’s there.

1 Like

TJ and Tanguy use those and seem happy with them. The majority of race orgs don’t like the idea of them, how ever.

The cambox does get its image influenced by the visor it’s shooting thru. So, fancy colored visors make for fancy colored videos. It’s a convenient package, for sure. Appears to have been invented for horse nuts.

Personally, I’ve watched a number of combox videos and the stabilization is so bad that it makes me sick to watch. Once they figure out GoPro quality stabilization, I think it could be a good option!

1 Like

Not really, it’s pretty explicit in the rulebooks I’ve read.

My preferred solution is a 2"x2" strip of .095 high-strength steel, hammerformed around a gas bottle to match the curvature of the helmet, bonded on top of the shell as an anti-intrusion plate, with the OEM curved GoPro tape-on mount bonded to it. I still haven’t found a sanctioning body that’ll let me use it, but that’s the right way to mount a helmet on a kart. In the event of a rollover either the 3M VHB tape will rip under a lateral load or the plastic mount will fracture in compression.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 20 forbidden symbols. :thinking:

Not affiliated with the brand because someone mention it. It looks pretty legit rather than putting bracket on top of your helmet.

Still banned by a couple of orgs… but it is more discreet.

1 Like

So anything in or on the helmet some org not allowing it ? Damn.

Cambox is cool and I had one of the original versions. I was contemplating becoming a dealer, but then most orgs banned them because they can (and have) fallen off and obstructed the driver’s vision on-track.

But based on your experience does it fall off easy? How to install it to the helmet? Does it really obstructed to driver’s view?

I wonder if the solution is a helmet manufacturer partnering with a company like Cambox to integrate the camera internals into the actual construction of the helmet? Probably would be prohibitively expensive and niche but would be pretty awesome.

Perhaps GoPro could design a linkage which is designed to break at a certain force?

I still think there needs to be some actual studies done on cameras attached to helmets causing injuries. They are ubiquitous in every other action sport without issue.

Edit: looks like Australian authorities have studied it for motorcycle use on the road and found that helmet attached cameras and bluetooth devices do not, on average, increase risk of injury to the rider. https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system/files/media/documents/2023/Assessing%20the%20Safety%20Impacts%20of%20Attachments%20on%20Motorcycle%20Helmets.pdf

Looks like the BBC and the UK Transport Research Laboratory studied this for climbing helmets and concluded that there was no added risk. They noted that the cameras broke off or absorbed some of the impact interestingly enough. https://www.bbc.co.uk/safety/resources/safetynews/helmet-cams/ and here is the published study: Safety performance testing of climbing helmet-mounted cameras - PubMed

I think it might already be. The system seems like it would snap given x force.

I never had mine fall off. To attach the camera, you stick a velcro strip onto your helmet padding above your eyes, and then the camera attaches to the velcro. The adhesive over fabric isn’t a great solution for actual adhesion, so that can fall off pretty easily. I super glued the velcro into my helmet so it wouldn’t come off.

The camera does not obstruct your view when it’s installed. You can’t even see it. But I know a few guys who had theirs fall off in a race and it was bouncing around in the helmet.

1 Like

Sort of off topic, but relative. During my last race my hero3 silver case snapped at the mounting point to my Ram mount. The mount is attached to the left side frame rails in front of my radiator. This is the second failure of the camera case. I never had this issue when the camera was mounted to the front fairing. Anyone else have this issue? Seems like between the brittle plastic and the lack of shock absorption in the ram mount its putting too much stress though the mount.

Any suggestions?

Could be that, the plastic failing over time or something. Maybe theres a way to use a rubber grommet or something to help reduce the rigidity of the mount to vibrating surface. Let the cam’s motion reduction do the rest, like on faring.

I’m going to interrupt this topic with a rant. GoPro, you had ONE JOB.

Why can’t I rely on a gopro to do the one thing it’s meant to do. Various models over the years and at some point they all let me down.

Could be user error I guess but last weekend at the rock the stupid thing either did not record or the audio was broken, or it switched modes. I’m kinda done dropping 300-400 every so often to have similar annoyances.

/rant

1 Like

Its a faily new case, less than 1 year old and only has about 5 races on it. I have seen other karts using the same or similar mount without failure.

I have seen one that had some kind of extra rubber block between the mount and the case. Also the Hero3 does not have stabilization.

I second this! Last couple of races it would just shut off mid race. Full battery, plenty of storage on the micro sd card. No problems when it was strapped to the top of my daughter’s bicycle helmet.