Helmet Weights

All weighed in grams on electronic food scale for greatest accuracy.

4 Likes

Hey Gary!

Has this been weighing on you?

Hey Rob. Yes it has. Two broken vertebrae (one from a crash in Avon in 2019) and arthritis in my spine makes helmet weight important to me. I needed a new one so I weighed a bunch to understand what was available. Information on helmet weight is inconsistent and hard to find online. So I did it myself.

1 Like

This is good to have. When I was looking into helmets, this would have been nice to have handy! Thanks!

I weigh every new helmet I get in my shop just out of curiosity. It’s nice to see someone compile the weights into a nice chart.

I just weighed the following:
Arai SK-6 - size S = 1468g
Arai GP-6S (no HANS)- size S = 1509g
Stilo ST5FN (no HANS) - size M = 1498g
Arai GP-7S (no HANS)- size L = 1542g

I have some other Bells and Stilos in various states of disassembly here too. I JUST had a GP-7SRC carbon in here (8860-rated F1 spec), would’ve loved to tell you how much that weighed.

Things that make helmets weigh more or less:

• Shell size: For Arai the same shell is used for small and medium I think, and large and XL each have their own size shell
  • Materials: For many of these light helmets, especially the Stilo, they use really thin and small rubber trims on the eyeport and edges to save weight. The Arai uses a really chunky, thick trim.
  • General construction: Of course the design of the shell, visor, and hardware will all have a big effect on how light they can get the helmet. The new Arais have a lot more plastic vents on them now, the visor hardware is more substantial and along with Bell uses two screws per side to hold the visor on, whereas the Stilo uses only one screw per side. Arai also has a fairly beefy visor latch mechanism, where Bell just has a hole in the visor that snaps over a nub to keep it closed. Stilo has the center latch which is also probably lighter than the Arai.
1 Like

gpr-k-300x300

good evening ,

does anyone uses omp helmet and knows the weight of the product ? im near taking one of those but i cant find the weight on line .

I have an “RS7K LTWT” which I don’t think Bell offers anymore as it was a quick run of helmets before the end of SA-2015. I think they got heavier with the jump to SA-2020.

1 Like

Just saw this was a 3 year old thread :slight_smile: To answer your question I’ve tried some of the OMP helmets on before, they seemed quite heavy to me. Sorry I don’t have numbers. Quick search I wasn’t able to find much on them. I think if a manufacturer is afraid to publish some numbers it is probably heavy.

Best to call a dealer and see if they will weigh it for you.

Just wanted to say that bumping an older
topic is totally fine as long as all of the information is still valuable and relevant.

In cases like this, it’s preferred over starting a new topic.

:facepunch:

1 Like

I had a period of accidental necro bumps as the alerts section filled up and I didn’t notice that they were old initially. It was a mod thing where something changed and suddenly I had lots of old alerts pop up.

Did clayton get mod powers? May be why.

Editing a post in a topic will bump it too. Maybe that was it?

Just curious if anyone knows, but have helmets gotten bigger/heavier over time? My SA2005 Arai feels a whooole lot lighter and is definitely smaller than my SA2020 Bell, but I’m not sure if it’s a brand difference or just a time difference. Neither are carbon or anything like that.

It popped up to the top of my feed? Didn’t realize it was old and I was bring it back from the dead.

Edit: Ah I see now Stamantis posted and brought it back from the dead first

2 Likes

Brand to brand will be tough. Just like cars as safety regulations get tougher things normally get heavier. Only way around that is better design or materials which usually costs more.
I think the most noticeable looking at my collection of older helmets is the foam inserts seemed to have gotten thicker and more dense.

2 Likes