Helmets specifically for small children

Thanks Dom and TJ I appreciate it.
I’m glad I asked. I was about to order the gold mirrored one and it wouldn’t be the best choice for his age.

I’ll settle for the smoke shield.

Thanks again.

Having started my son with the Bell GP2 Youth and then the Bell KC7 CMR, I can say the KC7 is MUCH noticibly lighter and also somewhat higher quality, although the GP2 was certainly a good helmet. I don’t think anyone would be making a mistake with either one.

2 Likes

My only suggestion is to make sure you look at the different certifications. The CMR youth karting helmets spec a max weight for the helmet. To me this is super important because of the lack of strength in a child’s neck. SFI 24.1-15 doesn’t spec a max weight, and (in my mind) is geared more toward enclosed vehicles. It talks about the fire resistance of the helmet, and attachment points for head and neck restraints (HANS, etc), neither of which really apply to karting. Just some food for thought.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for their suggestions I ended up purchasing the Bell GP2 in size 51-52 for my kid. It came pretty snug and tight but was pretty heavy. I ended up returning it to Bell and trying the KC7-CMR which is much lighter and I think it’s even slightly smaller (or maybe its just my imagination). Very happy with the purchase.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a helmet sock or balaclava for kids? He is 3.5 years old and his head size is 50.

Thanks