Help with getting a kart

So I have been looking online for a kart chassis and engine and I know that I want an LO206 engine. I am just struggling to understand some of the technical language and specifications of the engine and chassis. What’s a good way to tell if I’m looking at a good engine/chassis? And what’s a way that I can learn more about all the technical stuff in karting?

1 Like

You pick up the technical stuff as time moves forward and you get seat time. Check with you local track and see what brand they support. Also, FB marketplace is your friend. If you narrow your search results in and around places that have tracks, you’ll find more deals.

There is a 206 chat about 206 chassis, I would look for some of the chassis discussed there.

One of the beauties for LO206 and beginners is that its a spec engine, meaning they are all fairly close in performance to each other. Changing the oil, cleaning the carb and setting the valve lash is pretty much the only maintenance required. If you are not sure of its condition, you can always send out to a builder and have them look it over.

As for the chassis, it can sometimes be a little more difficult to tell what kind of life its had.
-Look at the manufactures badge on the rear of the kart to get a sense of age. Chassis are stamped with a model and serial number coding riveted to a tube or bearing carrier at the back.
-Assuming the kart has been cleaned thoroughly, look at the welded joints and seat supports for any signs of cracking.
-Look at the underside of the chassis tubes for excessive scraping. Scratches in the powder coating are normal, but beware of major flat spots. Most common areas are the main front hoop, cross bar in front of the seat and narrowest longitudinal bars in the waist. If guards are fitted in these areas, ask them to be removed for inspection.
-Check the chassis for twist or sag.
-Twist is when the front of the kart is not on the same plane as the rear. This can happen if the kart has jumped a lot of curbs on one side or favored one direction over another cornering and heavy loading. One way to check this is with the kart on level surface, lift each wheel. If one is lighter than the other on the same axle, it has twist. Its not a deal breaker, but means the chassis will have to be straightened by a professional.
-Sag is when the tubes along the length of the kart bow like a banana. It happens to almost all karts over time. Especially those with heavy drivers. With a straight edge you could simply hold it up to the frame and check if the middle is sagging compared to the front/rear. That can be difficult if the kart is fitted with an engine and race accessories. Depending on the Rake or Ride Height (height of the axles compare to one another) you could put the kart on level ground and check distance from the bottom of the tubes to the ground at various points.

-My best suggestion is to check out your local track on a race day and found out what teams are supporting the races in your area. Talk to a few of them and find someone you are comfortable with. Then buy a chassis from them. You will most likely receive support on setup and repair as things break or wear out. Secondly, teams often sell off slightly used equipment at a fair price compared to average seller on the internet, who once the deal is done rarely sticks around to help with setup and tuning.

Here is a video on what to look for on a used chassis: