How important is a straight/new chassis

Hi Everyone!

I’ve been wondering how important it is to have a straight/ fresh chassis?
If my kart is old 200+ hours, but has been straightened how much of a competitive difference do you think it would make?

Im currently weighing up buying a new chassis or straightening my current one. Not sure which is better bang for buck. Im on a budget!

Cheers!

Unless it is cracked or really flat on the underside I wouldn’t bother with a new one. Just put it in a jig and you are good :+1:t2:

A new chassis isn’t faster, you can be competitive with an older frame.

2 Likes

Really depends on the type of frame and what was ran on it. If it’s a stiffer frame and was ran at lower weights/speeds, probably still fine assuming you get it straightened.

If it’s softer, probably toast. Remember, that frame is your spring. At some point in time, it will become flexed out. Older stuff can work assuming you have not yet reached that point.

What is your goal? If you’re trying to win a big regional or national event then equipment needs to be at a different level than club racing. It’s just a hobby for me locally and although I still have the competitive desire to win/podium, it’s not the most important part for me. I’m on a budget as well race against competitors who put new tires on every club event whereas I run used tires until they’re done. Just the camaraderie racing with the friends I’ve made at the track is satisfying. We push each other to improve and congratulate each other on our progress and podiums. We help each other wrenching or with a spare part to make sure they get out on track etc. That’s what makes me love the sport so much. I have a 2015 Praga, 2020 Compkart and recently picked up a 21 TB S55…I’m competitive and have a blast on all 3 at the club level. I run within tenths of each other on either of my karts and that comes down to me and not my equipment. I blow a braking point or miss an apex…and then have the nerve to blame my kart that session :rofl:

I’ve run at the front of the biggest races in the country on karts with three seasons on them, welded seat struts and all.

As long as it’s straight and the underside isn’t flattened, it’s probably good to go.

2 Likes

The main thing I’d be concerned about is that because it’s experienced plastic deformation (ie bent) then the likely hood of it setting back to that shape is increased.

If the tracks you run are particularly bumpy or require a lot of kerbage I’d be more inclined to consider a one that hasn’t had to be bent back into shape.

At the end of the day, if the kart is still responding to tuning changes you make, it’s probably fine.

Then again, new stuff is nice too :slight_smile:

I’ve had a few karts that we straightened after bending them 90° and they were still fast.

2 Likes

What’s the kart handling characteristics when the underside is flattened?

Yeaah. I’ve got a feeling mine could be at that stage :grimacing: It hasn’t been run with kerb riders, and the underside is flattened. When I hop in the kart, you can noticeably see it sag as well…

My goals are much the same! Just really want to be competitive at regional events, nothing too serious. Obviously a lot of whether you are competitive or not comes down to skill and practise, as much as the quality of your equipment.
Just feel like whenever I do get out on track I struggle to tune issues out of the kart. It hops a lot through the slower corners and generally suffers from too much grip

1 Like

Have you tried adjusting driving to make it hop less?

That seems to be a common refrain amongst our contributors. Often this is a driving issue where folks are asking the kart to hold (just) too much load cornering.

The problem is especially evident in 400lb rental karts. I really messed up my side hopping in rentals at OKC, for example.

Since we can’t tune the rentals, the only answer lies in driving.

To make kart not hop you need to have less loading at apex. You must round out the entry so that the loading up at midpoint is less rapid and less intense.

You could mess around with the driving, too, is my point. It may be driving as opposed to tuning related.

2 Likes

Certainly! The condition of the kart chassis plays a crucial role in the performance and competitiveness of the kart. A straight and fresh chassis generally offers better handling, responsiveness, and overall performance on the track. It is more desirable for serious competitors who aim to achieve the best results.

While a new chassis is likely to provide superior performance due to the latest design improvements and materials, it can be a more expensive option. On the other hand, straightening your existing chassis might be a more budget-friendly alternative, especially if the damage is not severe.

However, it’s essential to consider a few factors before making a decision. Firstly, the expertise of the person handling the straightening process is critical. You should seek a reputable and experienced professional to ensure that the chassis is correctly aligned and safe for use.

Additionally, take into account the overall condition of your current kart. If other components are also nearing the end of their lifespan or showing signs of wear and tear, investing in a new chassis could be more beneficial in the long run.

Your racing goals and level of competitiveness are essential factors to consider as well. If you are a serious competitor aiming for top-level racing, a new chassis may give you a competitive advantage. However, if you are karting more casually and not pursuing highly competitive racing, straightening your current chassis might be sufficient for your needs.

Before making a decision, it’s advisable to consult with experienced karting professionals or mechanics. They can assess the condition of your current chassis and provide personalized advice based on your specific situation. Their expertise can help you determine whether straightening the chassis is a viable option or if investing in a new one would be more beneficial.

If you’re considering buying a new chassis for your kart, the article from Kartclass, “Most Popular Chassis Brands” could be incredibly helpful.

1 Like