How many karting sanctioning bodies are there in the US?

I was at the track today, and a new karting dad brought up a point that he was confused about the difference in all of the different sanctioning bodies in karting in the States. IKF, WKA ,etc

Which then got me thinking, how many do we have?

Off the top of my head, here are the ones that have their own rulebooks:

WKA
NKA
AKRA
TAGUSA
SKUSA
IKF

Added by others:

KART thanks @Sleek98

SIRA and Badger Kart Club and Woodbridge function as quasi-orgs too…

Orgs but not sanctioning bodies I don’t think.

Badger is WKA
Woodbridge is WKA (Well, historically has been)
SIRA seems to have their own rulebook though… Odd

1 Like

Kart has their own rule book as well.

1 Like

Well you could basically throw IKF and skusa in the same basket as one body now. Would Rok be its own body now? Backed my Vortex/Tony kart?

They are separate entities with different rulebooks, class structure and target customers. At least for now.

Good question on RoK. Probably more of a series than a sanctioning body, but I’m open to correction on that. They do of course have engine regs and homologation spec for their Vortex engines.

Is USAC considered a sanctioning body?

Also Badger isn’t exactly WKA in terms of rules I believe but I think their insurance and all that still comes through WKA, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

I pondered that too, especially with regard to the fact that they are the FIA’s ASN here in the US. They refer to the NKA rulebook for their events though.

I don’t think you can pick and choose between the insurance and rulebook. BUT there are provisions for local options which is probably what they are using. @burke166

1 Like

Probably. I don’t know much about the politics behind running a club, I just knew Badger isn’t a sanctioning body and that they used to run essentially WKA spec rules up until a year ago.

Sorry for the late response. Yes, Badger uses the WKA Tech Manual. The relationship between insurance and rules is a little complicated. WKA is more strict on what you can or can’t use, but there are other insurance companies that aren’t sanctioning bodies that let you use any of the more popular rule books. Badger and other organizations that use WKA rules are allowed to make changes here and there. For example, class structure is different and the requirement for push-back nose cones is different. Once upon a time Badger and WKA were very similar in class structure, then WKA kept changing their classes every year and we diverged. WKA has classes in Man Cup that just aren’t popular at Badger - nobody is running X30 at BKC.

2 Likes

MAXXIS has its own 4 cycle series in the southeast. It started last year and now running both gold cup and CIK body. Each is in its own class. They had the 7.10 last year and now trying the 6.0 this year. It is a great series and Buddy Long has spent a lot of his time trying to make it right. If you are in the southeast please try it out.