How many karting sanctioning bodies are there in the US?

(Davin Roberts Sturdivant) #1

I was at the track today, and a new karting dad brought up a point that he was confused about the difference in all of the different sanctioning bodies in karting in the States. IKF, WKA ,etc

Which then got me thinking, how many do we have?

(James McMahon) #2

Off the top of my head, here are the ones that have their own rulebooks:

WKA
NKA
AKRA
TAGUSA
SKUSA
IKF

Added by others:

KART thanks @Sleek98

(Ted Hamilton) #3

SIRA and Badger Kart Club and Woodbridge function as quasi-orgs too…

(James McMahon) #4

Orgs but not sanctioning bodies I don’t think.

Badger is WKA
Woodbridge is WKA (Well, historically has been)
SIRA seems to have their own rulebook though… Odd

(Chris Hinrichs) #5

Kart has their own rule book as well.

(Bryan Williams ) #6

Well you could basically throw IKF and skusa in the same basket as one body now. Would Rok be its own body now? Backed my Vortex/Tony kart?

(James McMahon) #7

They are separate entities with different rulebooks, class structure and target customers. At least for now.

Good question on RoK. Probably more of a series than a sanctioning body, but I’m open to correction on that. They do of course have engine regs and homologation spec for their Vortex engines.

(Aaron Hachmeister) #8

Is USAC considered a sanctioning body?

Also Badger isn’t exactly WKA in terms of rules I believe but I think their insurance and all that still comes through WKA, if I remember correctly.

(James McMahon) #9

I pondered that too, especially with regard to the fact that they are the FIA’s ASN here in the US. They refer to the NKA rulebook for their events though.

I don’t think you can pick and choose between the insurance and rulebook. BUT there are provisions for local options which is probably what they are using. @burke166

(Aaron Hachmeister) #10

Probably. I don’t know much about the politics behind running a club, I just knew Badger isn’t a sanctioning body and that they used to run essentially WKA spec rules up until a year ago.