How to identify oversteer / understeer by data analysis (Mychron/Race Studio)

I am trying to find a way to identify when the kart is oversteering or understeering just by looking at data captured by mychron 5. I am using the GPS_Gyro info from the Channels Report, but what is difficult for me and I really think is important is to identify if the kart is oversteering/understeering in the corner entry or exit.
Does anyone do this kind of analysis?

1 Like

I’m not sure the GPS is accurate enough to determine whether the oversteer is happening at corner entry or 10 feet later.

For this analysis, it’s much easier to see where it’s happening with an on-board video. Literally takes 10 sec to find a corner, slow down the video, and study the wheel inputs frame by frame.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply @tjkoyen
I have a 360 gopro I can use for this purpose, but what exactly should I look for (frame by frame)?

Watch the wheel, see where you start countersteering and then study before and after to see what caused it.

1 Like

Yes we do the analysis. You need a data logger with the X/Y accelerometer values available in your math channel formulas. Using the kart geometry you can calculate the instantaneous corner radius and trend that in RaceStudio. Wild gyrations on the trend indicate direction changes (sawing on the steering wheel) and since the apex has the shortest radius (the straightaways have an infinite radius) you can determine if the gyrations occur going into the corner or coming out of the corner. Coupled with similarly derived acceleration and braking data, you can usually have a fulsome conversation with the driver about what was going on and why it wasn’t a smooth corner.

1 Like

I’m curious how this analysis accounts for bumps, curbs, rumble strips, etc.

Homestead would be one example of a track that encompasses all of these nuances.

1 Like

Not much different than what a friction circle would display for similar irregularities in the track.

1 Like