How to tell if your MyLaps Transponder is FUBAR?

My MyLaps transponder is only 18 months old, but the last time Put it in the charger, the light was blinking red indicating that it was charging. But then the light stopped flashing and now the light is solid red. Last time I used it the track said there system wasn’t picking up my transponder.

There is nothing that says what a solid red light indicates.

Is this thing toast already? Anyone know how long these things are warranted for?

IMG_1852
IMG_1853

Not sure about the solid Red. On the older ones, TX160’s, they would double flash when there was a charging issue. The newer ones are serviceable if I am not mistaken. You could always short the terminal ends with contacts to a resistor or 12v light bulb (in place of a resistor) to drain it and charge it again. If they use NiMH batteries, they sometimes need a few drain and recharge cycles to “wake them up” enough to fully charge. Especially if they sat for a few months unused. Not sure if this helps?

I went on the MyLaps Tech Q&A and it said it flashes steady red when the battery is over heated. But its cool to the touch and my house is 68 degrees, so I’m not sure whats going on. . . .

When did you last connect it to the dongle?

Edit: does it have a dongle like the x2?

1 Like

I had a similar issue. Had to keep taking it in and out to try and get it to charge. I think I might have tried another cradle to charge it and it doesn’t seem to have re-presented. Sorry, not much help to you really other than it was a bit of a one-off issue.

Is it under a subscription that hasn’t been allowed to lapse? If so they are warrantied as long as you maintain the subscription. 2years on TR2 Go (the non-subscription one)

No racekey type device for these Richard, just Bluetooth connection to the app.

1 Like

I’d unplug the charger from the wall outlet and clean the contacts on the charger and transponder with alcohol. If no luck, call AMB.

Ended up sending it into MyLaps for repair and/or replacement. We’ll see what they have to say . . .

Their support seemed pretty good. I had a problem with mine and it sent some diagnostics out when I connected it to the app. They told me to send it off and they sent back a new one.

Got an email/ invoice from them today. They are sending me a new one at no cost. I guess my transponder was not repairable. :tipping_hand_man:

Not again, you have to be kidding me. Left it on the charger overnight, 3% charge. . . :rage:

WTF Over?

IMG_1873

Is your charger bricked? Try another charger if you can.

I was thinking the same thing.

Any update mine is having the same issue the last few times ive tried charging it

I ended up sending to MyLaps and they replaced mine free of charge. I think what happen was I left it in my race trailer and the summer heat killed the battery.

These batteries don’t last forever either. The Gopro batteries seem to die after a couple years of use. These draw very little power so you would think they’d last for a decade but yeah, maybe it got stressed by the heat and just won’t hold a charge anymore. I think cold is ok, tho.

Now the question I have is how do we dispose of these batteries? I have bags of them around the house that I dare not put in trash.

Thanks mine ended up being the cord that connects the craddle to the wall block went bad I found another one that started charging it correctly

1 Like

Is there a direct power option for those ones? I’m a lazy ass I have my X2 connected with direct power. Fit n forget, except for periodically connecting the race key to the inter web. Which I normally forget to do until 5 minutes before Quali :joy:

No direct option just charge it and itll last 4 days on the battery and when you connect to speedhive itll tell you how much battery is left

1 Like