How to unflood an IAME X30 Engine?

Hi all,
New to this and new to karting. So I bought a Croc Promotion 175cc Shifter Kart. I broke in the engine two weeks ago. When i got it home I cleaned it up. and then was going t run the engine, and was having a hell of a time starting it. I did what i was told to do. I adjusted the low and high speed screws to the recommend position. I got it to the point where it coughed then died. I shot a video of my starting procedure. And when the seller heard it. He told me that it sounded flooded. Now I am very engine illiterate. I mean I know the basics. But trying to solve a flood engine is out of my realm. He suggested, “You can pull the plug out (not sure what plug he’s referring to, maybe spark Plug), put cap on it and ground to head bolt (Not sure of head bolt is or where) the spin rear tires in gear for about 10-15 seconds. This should push most of the fuel that’s sitting in the cylinder out. Then put the plug back in, and if you can have some help start it. Ty pushing with zero throttle for a while then half or even full throttle until you hear it trying to fire.” So as you can see my lack of knowledge on the Tillotson Carburettor. I don’t know how I’m flooding the engine. So if someone can please help.

You have reasonable advice. The “plug” is the spark plug. Using a socket that’s designed for spark plugs, remove the plug. If it is flooded, the plug will be wet. At this point, you could have either of these issues; too much fuel or no spark.

The advice to put the engine in gear and spin the rear wheels does not make sense. You could put a shifter engine in gear and obtain results by spinning the rear wheels while in gear. An X30 engine has centrifugal clutch and would only engage after the engine reaches 6000 RPM’s.

Next, prevent any more fuel from entering the engine by either removing the fuel line from the engine or clamping the fuel line off. REMEMBER TO REATTACH THE FUEL LINE OR REMOVE THE CLAMP ON THE FUEL LINE WHEN DONE.

The safest way for you is to leave the spark plug out for a couple of days to allow the fuel to evaporate. While you’re waiting, charge the engine battery. Next, reconnect the spark plug wire to a new spark plug. Make sure the plug is seated all the way into the boot.

CAUTION-The next step could be dangerous. Do this outdoors in a shady area. Touch the threaded portion of the spark plug to one of the four bolts at the corners of the cylinder head and press the starter button. It might be hard to see, but you are looking for a spark between the two electrodes of the plug.

Good luck.

1 Like

Looks like he has a 175SSE vs the 125 X30 TaG. Thanks IAME for semi-confusing nomenclature.

James,
Had a fight with myself as to whether he had an X30 or the 175. Looks like I lost the argument.
:grin: