How well do 3D printed (plastic) parts hold up on a kart?

Title says it.

I’m looking at some useful parts, but not sure how the material will handle the vibration &/or UV over the long term.

Not sure tbh, I’m looking to print a battery cover for my mychron, that should hold up pretty well.

Other parts I guess it depends where and what. I remember when I visited Benetton F1 facility some moons ago they were busy printing a steering manifold to test, they should hold up fairly well, within reason.

1 Like

Found them at Logik

Fuel line clip:

Crankcase catch bottle:

Looks like it’s ABS, which has been used for MC fairings for decades, so probably GTG.

1 Like

Yeap they’ll be fine.

Nice find, those have a really nice aesthetic look.

The hose clips looks really nice, really neaten up the back of the seat.

I would think for those applications it’d be fine. Anything that might be bending would be risky.

No fuel filter support, though. Where did you source the one you previewed recently for the store?

1 Like

Ohhhhh that information is classified :joy:

Everything will be print on demand though. Otherwise I’d have to stock literally over 100 products.

1 Like

Well, get on it man! I could use a couple. How do I acquire?

I make chassis organizers to hold fuel line and wiring. And I make several models of rain hoods. All work very well.

1 Like

Post a link or pics.

I printed some parts when I got my new kart a couple years ago. Material used is ABS and for the most part they have held up well. Maybe 1 or 2 will crack over time where they clip onto the frame. They are really nice though because I can unclip the fuel line/cable in seconds to wipe the frame and then clip them back. No need to mess with zip-ties. Not shown in the pictures, but two of the clips are elevated to allow for a fuel filter.

I’ve also printed frame sliders in nylon and CF nylon that are holding up well. 3D printing them is nice because you can customize the fit/finish to the kart instead of just getting generic ones. I’ll post pictures of the sliders tomorrow, but here’s some other pics for now.

Fuel and Cable Clips: ABS

Steering Sensor Mount: CF Nylon

AIM Mychron Expension Mount: CF Nylon - Zipties to the fairing mount.

3 Likes

It depends on the material used and how thick it is. Here is my transponder, using a printed case to hold a 9v battery. Yes the case cracked, but a rubber band keeps it together.

3D printed parts are generally very weak, that being said I do have a PLA high intake air filter I designed in CAD. However, I printed it with a 1mm nozzle which significantly helped with part strength. But it has warped due to heat (I live in Phoenix so ambient temp is around 115f) and part stress, I would reprint it in nylon if I had the chance, but nylon is very expensive about $60-$80 per spool vs PLA $15-$20 spool. Not to mention nylon is hard to print (I had to use super glue to keep it attached to the print bed (nozzle temp 510f bed temp 230f), also had to bake the nylon in an oven at 200f for 6 hours before printing). Other plastics you could try (and have more luck with) is TPU and ABS tpu is what flexible phone cases are made of so its a slightly stiff plastic might work but could be too bendy, ABS, on the other hand, is what the plastic parts on cars are made of but it can turn to sludge if exposed to gas or oil (because ABS is an oil derived plastic) It does, however, have an ok temp resistance of up to 220f and will hold up to UV. In short, if you pick the right material, nozzle, machine settings, and have a well-engineered design you can make almost anything for your go-kart, trike, or minibike.

Please, If you have any more questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Does ABS dissolve immediately when exposed to fuel or oil, or does it happen with prolonged exposure? Given how ubiquitous it is in motorcycles, I would expect it to be at least resistant.

It would be pointless using 3d printing if it wasn’t on demand :wink:

ABS gets kind slimy if you spill gas/oil on it and dont wipe it off. The ABS they use on cars/ moto are usually coated with a paint/ enamel or mixed with a special plastic blend that can stand up to gas/ oil so spilling gas on it isnt an issue if its coated.

Have you tried the PLA+ type materials. I printed a couple of sim racing steerings wheels in that and its held up well.

One would think so ha.

Yes, but due to PLA’s low glass transition point it melts if the sun is shining on it. (Here in Phoenix stuff in the sun can get above 165f, so I try not to use it on stuff thats going outdoors.) Plus it will warp with stress over time.