I am 12 years old and in need a kart to stat with that has over 15 hp have any recommendations

Where are you located?

Atlanta ga

What age bracket are you in?

Junior (<16),

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your mechanical ability, or willingness to wrench on things?

Talk a little about your racing experience so far.

I started racing the k1 mand i upgraded up to outdoor karting at atlanta motersports park

What’s the main thing you need help with to get you started.

A good kart

1 Like

Welcome Oliver. Don’t forget to add your last name to your profile.

Have you spoken to anyone (staff or the community) at AMP? I think that’s a good place to start getting a sense of the local scene.

Generally I’d recommend a Briggs 206 class, especially if you’re not super mechanically inclined. The learning curve for maintenance tends to be less steep with that kind of four stroke based engine.

In terms of getting a kart. What’s your budget at this time? Keep in mind ongoing costs and the initial purchasing some basic tools.

Generally you can find a used Briggs 206 kart as low as $1600 but you’ll probably have to be patient. If your budget can accommodate more then that’s not a bad thing.

we are members at amp the budget is 5k

@olivier.p
What James said. Go talk to the guys in the pro shop and ask them what makes sense as a next step.

There’s a lot of different ways to go and it’s gonna be important to understand what it costs to run the kart over time, once you’ve bought it.

So your budget of 5k will definitely get you any kart used from 4-stroke to 125cc TAG. However, every time you use the kart, it costs hidden money in terms of wear and tear.

Stuff like 4-stroke (lo206) is a lot cheaper to run.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on horsepower. Fast karts are great but expensive and difficult to learn on. You can work up to them.

Why over 15 HP?
You need to see the class structure for your age groups. Read the rules and get a chassis and engine package that is legal for a class you are eligible for.

Make sure to look at what your local races have. 206 is a great place to start, (cheap, competitive and popular) so thats always an option. I race world formula which is a similar engine, just a little more power. it is pretty new so you would have to check if any local club races run it. Another class is ka100. Its a 2 stroke with a decent amount of power, but still a great place to start. as everyone else has said, the most important thing is to see what classes your series has.