I racing not running well

so i downloaded iracing yesterday for my old laptop and when playing on min graphics the game still tops out around 20 fps anyone here have any ways i can make my laptop faster? also the game play is quite chopy.

Oliver,
It could be that the laptop just isn’t powerful enough. Do you have a description of the laptop specs? Or a model number/brand?

1 Like

ya it meats the minimum specs so it shuld work i just wondering if there any ways to increas fps

Minimum specs is going to result in minimum FPS. To increase your FPS you would need to get a better graphics card. Most laptops run a pretty weak graphics card with integrated memory or shared memory, not a dedicated card that would be good for gaming.

2 Likes

Yah, that’s what I was hoping to figure out. If your laptop is running onboard graphics on the motherboard, while it will run the game, without a seperate graphics accelerator, it will not be very playable.

If you need help with buying a pc, let us know. We can help figure out a laptop or oc.

1 Like

Ways to increase FPS = reduce graphics setting to low. That’s it, basically.

1 Like

ya so im getting a pc in a mouth or sow once the prices go down a bit the laptop is just temporary

Ok. Make sure you get one with the 30 series nvidia graphics.

1 Like

ok just wondering how much did u spend on your pc and how is it?

Sort of hard to say because I have so many pieces and drives for all the videoing and simming.

Generally a powerful gaming system is gonna start at roughly 1k. I’d budget 1500.

You can build a gaming pc probably 800-1000 which will be great with screen (as opposed to vr).

Here’s an Alienware that’s a gaming pc with current 3070 video card:

I’m running it on a boot camped 2018 iMac, runs fine at around 50fps. I just moved to a new gaff with a room I can set up in though, thinking to get a windoze pc and mount it under the seat

If your on a budget and can afford the cost of inflexibility get a desktop instead of a laptop for sure. Far better performance vs cost than a laptop. Even with second hand gear you’ll get a massive performance jump with an Nvidia GTX 10 or RTX 20 series over a laptop

If not on a budget then for sure 30 series RTX Nvidia card and a 5000 series AMD Processor would be my personal picks.

1 Like

The Alienware is usually kinda overpriced anyways. And, that’s a relatively serious gaming PC with latest stuff. Just using it as a reference point.

Previous gen laptop:

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/77nlP

At around 1k, this works and has future upgrade potential:
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ala222/p/N82E16883360019

ABSALI472Gaming Desktops

ABS Master Gaming PC - Intel Core i5 10600K - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 512GB SSD

• Operating System: Windows 10 HomeCPU Type: Intel Core i5 10th GenCPU Speed: 10600K (4.10 GHz)GPU/VGA Type: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 TiMemory Capacity: 16 GB DDR4SSD: 512 GB
  • Model#: ALI472
  • Item#: N82E16883360057
  • Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
  • Sale Price: $1,299.99

This is what I’d be getting as a good gaming system. Thats the “budget” card, but of the latest generation. Only way to get it is in a new PC. They arent available to buy as a part, yet.

It has a 500GB solid State Drive, which is ample for your OS and a game or two.

It has a “K” chip which can be overclocked in the BIOS. Apparently this BIOS makes it easy.

It has pretty quick RAM, too, DDR4 3000.

For mass storage you can buy an external drive that connects via USB or get another internal regular drive. A Terabyte of storage (lots) is about 50 bucks internal now:

Western DigitalWD10EZEXDesktop Internal Hard Drives

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - OEM

• Interface: SATA 6.0Gb/sCapacity: 1TBRPM: 7200 RPMPACKAGE: N/AOptions: 64MB Cache
  • Model#: WD10EZEX
  • Item#: N82E16822236339
  • Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
  • Price:$49.99
  • Sale Price: $44.99

Anyways, system like this will run Iracing at 100+ FPS for you. It will also be pretty future-ready and should be useful without video card upgrade for at least 3 years.

I looked online and it said that iRacing required 16 RAM how do you get that much RAM on a iMac? I might be mistaken how this whole RAM/gaming thing works, so if I’m missing something, please feel free to tell me lol

I used to run iRacing on an old 2009 iMac with Bootcamp when I was in high school. It worked, not perfectly, but it ran it.

Ok so I’m the most technological person in the world, what does bootcamp mean? Is it an extension you buy and is it limited to just Mac?

Bootcamp is a built-in MacOS utility that allows you to partition your hard drive, and run Windows on your Mac. Useful when you want to play Windows games or use Windows apps that won’t normally run on your Mac.

Oh ok makes sense, does it help with RAM and memory usage?

Also I have a windows computer with 16RAM and like 15.8RAM available, is that enough for a game like ACC, iRacing, or other games?

Bootcamp has nothing to do with memory usage, it’s specifically just to run Windows on a Mac, since iRacing and most other games can’t run natively on MacOS.

Here’s system requirements for games:

https://www.assettocorsa.it/system-requirements/