IAME KA100 coming to America

We switched our Tag Masters series here in the midwest to the KA and VLR from 125cc. Our last race of the season we had 16 drivers! Last year with the 125 tag–6 drivers were the most we had all season.

I heard its big over in the midwest and south regions like Atlanta and NC but FL is delayed :joy:

KA100 looks promising in the junior level though, 13 drivers in the regional series maybe in a few years we’ll have a bigger senior field, right now I only saw one KA100 senior lol

Our track worked a deal with IAME East and offered KA 100 at an attractive price for racers this year. We went from 1 last year to at least 10 this year (there are more out there but not everyone showed every race). The motors are very reliable, clean to operate (I came from Yamaha) and very consistent. I think it also helps that we use MG reds for this class. While the Yamaha appears less expensive when you start adding the clutch and pipe its really about the same money, plus you don’t need an external starter.

I would think in FL the VLR100 would have a decent following as Rok has their FL Winter Series. At our club (NTK-North Texas), they run the KAs and VLRs together. I think they are up to 10 or 12 so far with mostly KAs. At our other club, DKC (Dallas) they have similar numbers with mostly VLRs. If they ever combined, it would be a great field.

Yeah but in Florida the only good fields for KA100 are the Florida Winter Tour and SKUSA Winter Series, both of which are expensive, $750 for race weekend in FWT and $890 a weekend in SKUSA, both including tires, fuel, and mechanic fees, which would add up to $4030, not including maintenance. It’s not the worst deal in the world, but I’m not rich and am still in college, so LO206 makes more sense for me. The KA100 has a good field (around 14 drivers) in the SSKC state series, but they only have the Junior class, none in senior. That’s why I’m starting with LO206 and then when the KA100 senior class grows, I’ll think about hoping into that

Hey Eric!

We should have KA100 Senior in the Sunshine State Series in 2021. We were hoping to launch it this year, but the only club numbers for KA Senior are currently at Homestead. Just like everyone says, it’s grown like wildfire once it starts.

Last year at the same weekend in Ocala we had 2 drivers in KA Junior. One year later we had 16, and dropped to 15 on Sunday because one kid moved up to Senior mid weekend.

What Florida track are you closest to?

@XanderClements I was looking at the SSKC series and was considering doing it eventually. I live an hour and a half from Ocala Gran Prix, I’m also near Andersen Race Park and Orlando Kart Center

1 Like

Gotcha. I’m sure KA will get going soon in those places; OGP was just starting to get a couple before shutting down due to COVID.

I’d give it a year or so and it’ll be booming.

I was thinking about starting LO206 first anyway since I’m new to the karting scene and that KA100 hasn’t developed quite yet. Next year I’m going to rent the margay ignite at the local track and race a couple of times and also have lessons on the X30, taste for both worlds. Then by the end of 2021, I’m thinking of buying my own kart, so by then I’ll decide which direction I want to go in. Also, how much tuning is required for the ka100 compared to the x30?

Both are honestly pretty straight forward. If you get an EGT sensor, you pretty much richen or lean out the carburetor based on hitting a target temperature read by the EGT.

The benefit of the KA100 over the X30 is that it runs lower RPMs so you can go substantially longer between engine rebuilds before losing performance. X30 5-8 hours / KA100 10-15 hours.

You’re on the right track to start in 206. Spend at least a season in that and then go from there. Your goal when you’re starting out in the sport should be to just get as many laps as you can, no matter the class you decide to start in.

So I’m renting the LO206 karts in my local track for my first season next year, but the following year I’m going to want to buy my own kart. I will then see which class is bigger and if KA100 has grown enough by then, if not then I’ll stick with LO206.

Problem is I don’t want to spend money on LO206 for a year and then switch to KA100 and pay more money once its there. College lad here so money is issue lol. Looking at it though, the only thing I’m assuming I would have to buy is the KA100 engine, plus a few parts, and then put it on the chassis (planning on getting a chassis that can run both engines), which would be extra $2500-3000. KA100 rebuilds aren’t bad, engine builder told me $150 top end and $500 full. I don’t have a problem either sticking with LO206, have great events like Margay, CKNA, SKUSA Winter Series, FWT, so I’ll only switch to KA100 if its economical and with big fields like LO206.

We’ll see what the future holds I guess :joy:

Those costs that an engine builder told you don’t seem right, unless you’re estimating parts only pricing. Top end done right costs about $250 in total parts. If they are re-using some parts, or not doing everything that should be done, I would caution using them. The piston kit, piston pin, and roller bearing for the top end costs $190 alone. Not including shipping, I pay around $600 for a top end rebuild from one of the top engine builders.

My bad, he said it was $150 LABOR plus parts, so if it costs $250 in total parts for top end, then I’m guessing that a top end rebuild would be around the prices your describing. Builder is in my local area, so shipping wouldn’t be an issue

That sounds better, that’s in the range that is charged for labor. Just wanted to make sure you weren’t expecting one cost, and it ended up being more than you thought.

$150 labor is prob right but the $190-225 quotes for parts alone is a little light. Most builders will do reeds and carb kits as part of a top end service. If you aren’t comfortable with breakin yourself you’ll have time on breakin/ dyno to 100% know it’s ready to bolt on and rip straight from the builder. That’s how you wind up in the $600-650 range for top ends but it’s a no risk, no headaches approach.

Or it should be anyways. You seem to be having bad luck with motors but I think its a fluke more then anything. The KA100 is about the world’s easiest motor to work on.

At my state’s regional series (Sunshine State Karting Challenge), since the race is in Miami, they are opening a KA100 senior group for the first time. Most KA100 drivers in Florida are in Miami, so really excited to see what the turnout is and hopefully it give exposure to other senior drivers to join elsewhere in the state