IAME Leopard Ignition Issues - Comet kart

TJ, I’m in northern il. Thanks again for your input

Concept haulers speedway is the closest kart track that has that class. Also there is a series that does the road courses that I used to race bikes at. Blackhawk farms, Ginger man, Road America. That’s why I wanted to do the 125’s. I haven’t looked into the 100’s with them yet.

Everyone I talk too around here recommends the 206. It seems to be the dominate class. I’m willing to try it, and it’s attractive from every standpoint outside of hp. Idk.

I thought you were required to run water as coolant - because anything else won’t just evaporate without residue if spilled! I’ve always used tap water for the entire season, then added a cup of vinegar for the last practice day to get all of the scale out.

I guess it depends on your goal. If you want to actually race or run different series, 206 is a good class as it’s very popular and you can run it multiple places. Same with KA. I’m not an expert on road racing (Blackhawk, Road America and the like), but I believe both of those engines have places in road racing class structures too.

If you’re just looking to turn laps for fun, then you aren’t necessarily beholden to your local class structures.

Either way, being in the Midwest you have a fair amount of options fortunately. I still recommend 206 or KA, as the fields here are strong and the engine packages are great to work with. I understand the relatively low horsepower of the 206 may sound like a turn off initially, but once your actually racing, speed tends to matter less, and the competition ends up being more important, and you can have fun in just about any speed of kart.

2 Likes

This season is most likely a wrap. I’m going to bide my time and shop for a good deal on an x30 over the winter.

1 Like

Yeah. Sept/oct in the NE seems to be peak karting tho.

We get some really beautiful race (or practice) weekends going into the fall. Yeah it’s too late in season to make a dent in standings but it’s a terrific time of year and everyone’s out there.

1 Like

Google Photos

This is what the new stator looks like once removed.

Is that melted plastic stuck to it or rubber pickup from the track? The plastic casing looks a little deformed in some spots, but that may just be a trick of the lighting.

It’s the plastic from the stator. I didn’t disect it because the iame supplier asked me to return it. They ended up sending me a new one.

1 Like

Glad to hear the sent you a new one. I would suggest you go through and test your harness before attempting to run it again. Stators are current generators. If you don’t give that current someplace to go, they will get hot and fail.

Either you have a bad ground somewhere or an open circuit between the stator and the coil. You can use a multimeter and check all of the wires before starting it up and compare it to the other kart’s wiring. Hopefully that will net you some quick answers.

1 Like