IAME X30 engine performance

I’m sorry, 5hp isn’t physically possible with just some polishing and squish on a X30. Unless tuning is completely open without regulations

5hp is basically maximum on a Kz for example where you are allowed to remove material on transfer ports, exhaust and intake side, play with timing, different exhaust, squish, different combustion chambers and pistons that match etc

And you could rule out the oil/fuel mix since we have fixed regulation on that in Sweden. Aspen 98ron and 4% oil maximum :smile: Unless you want to cheat ofc.

Sure you could play with like 1mm timing each way but that isn’t going to make any difference, just changing where the powerband is.

1 Like

It peaked 34hp when it was racing it had 33hp but after some hr performace dropped off,
For example my junior came with 1hp more then spec out of the box idk how that is possible but yeah👌

It sounds like Swedish post-race tech is pretty lax.

I would just be careful what you put online. Many of the modifications you’re noting would be illegal in almost any IAME series, and if you’re looking to represent your engine tuning business that could be an issue. And if you’re really associated with the IPK factory, I’m not sure they would want that out there either.

Outside of honing the cylinder, you can’t polish or machine anything on an X30, including the carb. It does not matter if the dimensions stay within tolerances after you’ve done the work; you cannot machine parts or change internal dimensions from where they came from the factory. End of story. It’s a spec engine, you understand that, right? If the scrutineers at your races can’t see that an exhaust has been polished, then they’re incompetent…at any legit race, sanctioned by Iame, proper scrutineers would catch that in half a second.

And for single speed 125cc engines, in open building classes (not spec, like X30), you will see gains of about 3 hp in the hands of a good builder. And that’s after extensive port work, case polishing, work with the reed conveyor, and timing, none of which you are allowed to do on an X30. Even with extensive work, you are not picking up 5hp on an X30…the porting is simply not aggressive enough. In order to see gains like that, you would need to massively change the porting and design a new pipe to take advantage of the new porting.

7 Likes

It peaked 34hp when it was racing

You raced with your dyno attached?

I would imagine for an x30 to show a 4hp gain, the first pulls would have to have been literally throwing it on without any carb tuning. Definitely an outlier.

Rotax had their challenges too despite the seal system.

I mean before race it peaked 34. Thats a idea tho build a mini dyno and attach to engine🤣

I’d only add that 5hp on KZ is also a pipe dream I have never seen that happening (when you compare e.g. out of the box factory tune vs custom engine tuner, like for like). 1 hp at that point is already a world-class result, otherwise if you compare (bad apples) with good oranges, sure it can happen.

I think here we are mixing a bad starting point (we’ve all seen duds) and dyno calibration. If it’s 4hp off, you went from crappy running X30 to one that is where it is supposed to be. Otherwise with 4 extra hp you would obliterate the field, all the time and have techs dissect it at every chance they have. Since it’s probably not the case, I’d question the final reading you get from the dyno rather than the engine work…which is doing it’s thing, since it shows improvement so good job there!

3 Likes

Quoted for emphasis.

Guys, this kid iis apparently 14 years old. He’s been laughing at us for the last 24 hours…i think there’s a name for such behavior on the internet …
Just ignore him in the future

1 Like

Forgot to change bio 15 actually… i would say i have the knowledge of someone in 30s age doesn’t matter really.
I own 2 buisnesses one is in company marketing and building image. And a engine building business whit many happy customers.

It was a out of box engine, freshly runned in with stock carb settings, we got a 4hp gain from “out of box spec” after the race when engine had 3hr on it we dyno it again and got 33hp i would say thats totaly possible… dyna may be 0.5hp off but i dont know who calibrated it

Don’t assume negative intent. Mike is an active contributor to these forums, and is always genuine in the content he posts. If you were a regular then you would know that, instead of pinning him as a troll.

At the end of the day some alleged dyno figures don’t matter compared to how we treat each other. Others in this thread have demonstrated a healthier way to express their skepticism…

4 Likes

Just to add my thoughts. X30 tuning is possible, whilst strictly speaking against the regs unless you’re running at WSK level then scrutineers are unlikely, in my experience, to take any action even though they can see an engine has clearly been tuned and polished internally for extra HP.

This is the main reason I’ve stopped running IAME. I ran masters category alongside seniors, obviously seniors are quite a bit quicker due to their weight difference mostly but us masters were at least able to run our own race without being lapped……until the kids started a tuning craze - now unless I follow suit I’m getting lapped halfway through the race which completely destroys any fun and actually makes it not worthwhile. Scrutineering doesn’t do shit. I don’t have the lack of personal integrity nor the financial inclination to start arsing around tuning my engines internally.

So I’m defecting to Rotax where the engines are sealed. DD2 masters for me, the fun is over with IAME.

2 Likes

Im lucky i race in juniors still, what is IAME masters? Like a slower or a faster senior?

Over 32 years of age, +10 kg minimum weight compared to seniors. Same karts/engines but heavier class.

1 Like

Just to add to this, in the past year I have run 2 X30’s and a rotax, the rotax with no work, and the x30s with an initial race prep, and a rebuild. The rotax came out of the box as good as it gets, as it was never on the dyno I don’t have an exact figure but it was competitive at the local rotax pro tour. The X30’s however had to be tuned up, and one turned out to have ~30.5 hp, with the other having ~32.5 (albeit with a very good tuner). On track, this difference was massive when running in the national championship as we were getting rubbish straight-line speed, and people were passing on every straight. Compared to the more powerful one where we were even if not faster. that being said, there is a little bit of disparity with the X30’s even with the same preparation out of the box and as someone said before, some engines are just faster and slower

1 Like

my friend (he has to much money) Buyed 20 x30:s and left them to his builder to dyno them all and mix all the best carbs and parts to be 3 “Really good engines”
Some where acuallly really bad at almost 28… (could be a carb issue or tuning fromfactory

With all these messages… what is allowed to do actually? I have the following from this thread…

• mix and match from different engines.
  • change squish by using different gaskets
  • making sure gaskets lign up…
  • oil/fuel ratio
  • carb tuning. Is more dynamic though
  • possibly tighter piston to wall clearence?? Risk of engine seazing… but also top needs to be rebuild quicker

Anything else?

I’m leaning towards needing a more evidence based approach for the topic of parity…
I’ll take the opportunity to add my thoughts on motor racing and I think it applies especially to spec classes.

You can’t stop people spending colossal amounts of money
You can reduce the impact it has on performance and close the field.

1 Like