Iame x30 start up help/questions

Hey all, have a few quick questions before I try and fire my kart for the first time. Just want to make sure all my bases are covered.

It’s an iame x30. Filled it with water, have fuel mixed, belts for water pump are connected, battery connected, new spark plug connected. It was shipped to me and everything is bone dry. Are there any procedures that I need to follow or anything else I need to look over and check before I try and fire it? Thanks in advance.

Mixed fuel and oil at 2oz per gallon per the sellers instructions. Any objections to that?

It should be 4% (25:1) according to the IAME manual. That works out at about 5 oz/gal (5.1 to be exact).
I suspect many simply run 6oz/.gal and send it. Sometimes folks prematurely drop the oil ratio because of the presence of smoke which is a mistake.

So, run 5oz at the minimum.

What oil are you using?

3 Likes

Here’s the manual if you don’t have it already:

3 Likes

Thanks James. I’ll be sure to make that adjustment. I got the oil from the kart shop that’s near my local track. Cant remember exactly what it’s called but it’s the one they recommended

Don’t forget your gear oil if you haven’t filled it already.

3 Likes

Yup, got that filled Thomas. I did almost forget though.

I take a bottle of motul per 5 gallon drum of 98.

I run 8 oz / gallon of castor 927, or 7 oz. gallon Redline…

1 Like

@OllieG, as you can see we all have different preferences. Generally one isn’t necessarily better than the other.

The key takeaway is that you should pick one of these rarios and stick with it so that you avoid introducing variables.

Have you connected with an engine builder yet? It might be worth doing so given the oil ratio used previously. They will likely have an oil ratio and brand they recommend which again is good to stick with for consistency.

1 Like

That’s a really good idea James. Thanks again for the help everyone!

It might also be good to go through a good engine break-in procedure, if the engine is brand new.

1 Like

Just picked up my X30 from OGP and I had the same question. They said 8oz per gallon with C12

1 Like

Been running 6oz per gallon for a couple weeks. No problems. Using 98 leaded

This is what SKUSA has gone to for requirements. It’s either 8oz of Mutol or 4oz of castor oil and 4oz of Motul per gallon of C12.

The 2 stroke IAME motors I have ran, I’ve used 8oz per gallon. I’ve had great reliability and power from all the motors at that ratio.

2 Likes

I think 2oz per gallon is for yard trimmers. I have never heard of any kart engine going under 4oz.
Typically practicing I run a little more oil to save the engine, around 6-7oz. Racing 5oz.
Does anyone use Castrol R40 anymore?
What 2 cycle oil does iame recommend?

I think it’s OK to go by SKUSA’s recommendation that Michael quoted

This is what SKUSA has gone to for requirements. It’s either 8oz of Motul or a mix of 4oz of castor oil and 4oz of Motul per gallon of C12.

I haven’t smelled R40 around here of late. It might be more popular with aircooled engines.