Impact wrenches

I have that same inflator. It’s dead handy and within 0.5 PSI of my racing gauge so I can inflate to ballpark pretty quick.

All my tools, sockets, bits, are using a Ryobi 18v 1/2" impact wrench on the “middle” setting. I’m considering downsizing both for weight and easier access. I think consensus is a 1/4" hex impact driver is perfectly fine for wheel nuts. But is it enough power for those tight engine mount screws and hub screws? I’m debating between the 3/8" impact wrench or the 1/4" driver.

M12 Fuel 1/4 impact on 2(med) for wheels, on 1 (low) for chassis prior to hand snug
M18 Fuel to undo few big engine nuts (rotor, primary, clutch basket) and emergency situations when somebody used too many hugga duggas or loctite (undo only)

1 Like

OK, so I take it that the M12 can’t handle those tougher nuts, in which case you have to carry both. Why not do everything with the M18? On the low or med setting it should be OK to use and do it all?

I do realize the M18 is crazy (1400 ft-lbs) vs the Ryobi I’m using (300 ft-lbs), so that may just be the difference?

Wheel nuts require about 15/16 ft lbs or whereabouts so 18v stuff is way overpowered. Even at lower setting, it was too much and it wasn’t consistent. I have all the tools in both series impact-ratchet-screwdriver and I tried everything back to back. For karting I only carry those 2.

I use the M12 impact with the extended battery/base 99% of the time. M18 is to help others or in emergency random situations just because I have one anyways. So if you have to buy only one, get the M12.

Maybe the new M18s have a lower setting, I recall mine was around 20 ft lbs but wasn’t really consistent at that setting. I reference 1/4 in tools btw, if you see a 1,400 ft lbs tool, it’s probably a 1/2 inch impact made for truckers and will cost $500+