In Wadsworth Ohio near Cleveland looking for Info?

Have a 12 year old grandson and would like to talk to somebody who is near me about Karting ?? He is in K1 electric Karting league now in Canton. And would like to get him into 4 cycle 206 engine Kart racing, I am 60 and use to race Rupp Dart Karts / sprint / endurance in my day at Mid - Ohio and Adkins . My Dad was a Mechanical Engineer for Rupp Industries in the day. I have a full Machine Shop and been working on Street Rods and Custom Harleys and building them since I was 16 years old . Looking for Information of any kind ??

3 Likes

There’s only one right answer in the Cleveland area.

Gary Lawson
Lawson Speed Shop
440-567-9594

Start with him. He will recommend a place/track/team to help you get started. He knows karting inside and out and especially your area.

1 Like

Here is the guide we’ve written for new racers at OVKA at G&J Kartway (north of Cincinnati), though Adkins and PittRace are nearest to you in Northern Ohio, most of the information will transfer:

1 Like

You should definitely try and make it down to our big Swap Meet on February 3rd where you can attend our seminars and shop for everything you need to get started (and some good deals)

1 Like

@fatboy1dh

Marc Stehle is there, too.

STEHLE MOTORSPORTS
15291 RHONDA LANE
LAGRANGE OH 44050
U.S.A.

Phone: 440-213-8659

Email: [email protected]

1 Like

Thanks for all the help keep it coming any help for my grandson would be appreciate and me too…

When you say gas are you looking for 4 stroke or 2 stroke? Many start with the 4 stroke Briggs and Straton LO206 and it is a great place to start. The other option for entry-level 2 stroke is the IAME KA100, it has considerably more HP (double). At your grandson’s age, he would be in a junior bracket but he is quickly approaching the age he could race in the senior bracket. The advice given many times on KartPluse is visit/contact the tracks you are closest to and find out what classes they run, what if any services are offered (on site kart shop, rentals, race school, etc) and what are the opportunities for practice.

Here to help if you have any questions in regard to the current chassis, classes, costs, etc in the region. You are in a great spot there within two hours of Thompson, Adkins, Pitt, Midvale, Fremont and the proposed Loraine track.

We are trackside at Pitt Race and have been doing new family intros for going on 20 years. We offer arrive & drive sessions as well in all classes (both 206 and KA) on practice and race days.

You can shoot me a text anytime if you want to bounce some questions or thoughts around:

Hey Dave. Im the 58 year old man still just tearing up the neighborhood and parking lots. Only track im aware of is Adkins. I raced at Navarre speed way in the 70s. Its long gone. Vintagekart racing is making a huge comeback. Im still running a 74 margay concept with a yamaha kt100. Pretty fun and fast. Totally restored by me. Id rather see a young kid get into vintage 2 stroke racing. Never a fan of the 4 stroke stuff. But whatever you like. There’s alot of vintage info on Facebook VKA. Check it out.