Increased Scraping

I had an interesting experience at the track this weekend. Kart has been mainly the same setup wise at this tracks the past 3 outings. The past 2 the chassis protectors were slightly scuffed but nothing to worrying. Then after this weekend I see that there is some major major chassis scraping. Any ideas to what may have caused this or a potential fix?

Thats alot of scraping, Like alot… something is wrong.

Looks like something is sagging. Check for cracked welds.

I agree it looks like mainly the front left is sagging and coming down not seeing any cracks right now. Possible a wacky bend or too wild to be a bend?

Silly question, but do you have a flat tire?

2 Likes

Looks like there’s an extra large cheese grater on the track somewhere.

No flat but someone in our field got one from the bus stop feature they added this week.

2 Likes

Thinking that cheese grater was the bus stop feature like I said above. No kerbage just asphalt then a small drop to grass

TKA should not tear up the bottom of the kart like that. Were you dropping tires regularly in the bus stop? If so, you may just be paying the price. If not, there is definitely something wrong with the kart. Was the kart handling normally?

That could be it, later in the day I was getting slightly sloppy and trying to catch another pack leading to me taking a lot of curb and dropping a tire. Kart was hands long the same nearly everywhere else on track as before that day.

any chance the cassette’s loosened up enough that the axle moved up, frame moved down?

1 Like

Frame moving down at the axle cassette would push the nose up, it’s the nose that’s scraping.

Check your Kingping bearings for play. I have seen them shatter a number of times with no damage to king pins, frame or spindles.

2 Likes

Yes, Ron is right. Thats a good check. You can actually increase scraping by just widening the front end too. If you wide, it “sags” more in the middle and scrapes more. Dont ask me how I know…

Took apart the spindle on both sides the kingpin was loose allowing play up and down with my hand…. Has a culprit possibly been found?

Sounds bad, time to get that corrected.

Does anyone possibly have a picture or a diagram of the crg sniper pill kit and installation. I’m finding that when I installed the kit I didn’t factor in the added space the kit created on the spindle and then there was play. So I figure there is more parts to fill in the gaps such as the conical spindle etc. but I have no idea what I need and in what order they go. Thanks in advance!

You likely need another #7. I wouldnt pay $4.50 for a flat washer, but rather put my own from the junk drawer in there.

Might need #8 here if you have 10mm king pin:

If that’s from just one session that seems pretty extreme. Gonna need metal skid plates. The plastic ones will not last.