Insight and opinion wanted into rebuild schedule Iame X30

So far I found wildly differing opinion and recommendations on bottom end rebuild schedule for x30.

I understand this can be very dependent on level of abuse, oil mixture and general running condition.

I am a recreational club racer and I am not squeezing the max performance out of engine as it diminishing return to abuse the engine at my skill level.

Seen as low as 20hrs and as high as 50hrs on bottome end service. Two different service centers gave me wildly different opinions on this and quick google search has it all over the boards. One place said must do at 20hrs other place said keep running it and fit pistons as needed just check rod and condition of lower roller bearing and dont worry about it until 50hrs. You can see me confusion.

I typically do my own top end service as it pretty simple with a bore gauge and send out cyclinder for quick hone/clean up at machine shop. I can understand doing piston pretty regularly and religiously at about 8-10 hrs as parts cheapish and easy to do to avoid a piston failure.

I have to outsource the bottom end service as I am not committed to spending money on tooling to do it …yet…

Disclaimer: Not a motor builder.

However, different shops are going to give different values for a number of reasons. Because the motor package is still fairly new to karting (1-2 years experience for motor builders max), some of them are going to be conservative on estimates or their service work. Some want you to come in earlier so they make more money, some simply don’t work on a lot of them, so they’ll ballpark off of a service manual/other TaG engine they’ve worked on.

I’d recommend just calling a large number of builders and getting a solid average for bottom end rebuilds. From engines I have had work done on, 20 hrs. on a bottom end for a hi-revving 2 stroke seems reasonable, but I could have been just getting ripped off the whole time.

FWIW I found this on the IAME East website:

1 Like

Early X30 engines seemed to go significantly longer on a top end. Now I’d be rather scared to go for the full 20 hours. The most common maintenance schedule I see amongst my customers is…

~4 Hours: Check Reeds, Check Carb.
~8 Hours: Top End
~20 Hours: Bottom End

If you’re lucky you’ll be able to reuse your rod when it’s time for a rebuild, otherwise it gets pricey with a rod kit being ~$400.

To be more specific, these guys run at a regional level competitively while not having what I’d consider a crazy budget.

2 Likes

Ryon, When you say check carb, What’s being checked? Pop off, hold and leaks… or something else.

I purchased an X30 last year, ran 16 hours on it and did a top end only. Everything looked great in side.

I just did a complete rebuild this week with 33 hours on motor. The bottom end looked great, no parts needed! Only had to purchase a piston and rings and did a carb rebuild.

Wade

1 Like

Pull the carb apart, clean everything out, run it through the ultrasonic tank, reassemble with all new fresh gaskets, verify pop off pressure is correct and holds. Needles shouldn’t need to be “checked” as you should generally always know where they’re set. However when reinstalling its best to set back to a baseline of 1 H, 1.5 L as you may have had to compensate for weather, etc

1 Like

I do that after every weekend and that is every week snd race engine 2 hours piston training engine 9hr top. Race is 15hr botto. Training 25hr