Is it Just Me? (Winter Blues)

The days are getting shorter here in the frozen north and the our racing season has come to an end as of last Weekend. Can’t go as far as saying I’m depressed. I will say that at least I’ve been a grouch all week. Maybe it’s just racing withdrawal.
Anyone else going through this?

3 Likes

I’ll let you know. 2 races left. I would like if it stopped raining someday.

You might have a mild seasonal affective disorder. I have it, and it makes the winters really hard. It’s a real thing.

I take a ton of vitamin D, excerise, and get out in the sunshine whenever I can.

1 Like

I also suffer from seasonal affective disorder along with bipolar disorder and depression. They have SAD lights that work great if you dont get alot of sunlight. They dont radiate heat or the bad uv’s it just stimulates the brain and wakes it up sorta would be the best way I would describe it. Mine was also covered by insurance if you have a decent benefit package. I am also from the north…canada not sure if that’s what you were referring too lol. I used one when I was working afternoons and wasnt getting alot of light. My personal more serve depression has always kinda coincided with winter and gloomy weather. Vitamin D also is another great thing to try

2 Likes

We call it PKS(Parked Kart Syndrome) in our house. After spending most nights and weekend playing with the karts we suddenly have ‘nothing to do’. It takes a few weeks to adjust, but some how I still manage to ignore all the things I was ignoring when I was working on karts. Someday I will finish the basement…

2 Likes

There’s always this guys. Not quite the same I know…

For those of us in the Midwest, Chad Clay puts on a KILLER indoor series.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/113611209098570/

1 Like

I love the mental health kinda cropped up in discussion. Even if it wasn’t meant to.

1 Like

Well, we are all likely to be a little crazy.

I found that my talents lay somewhere else than behind the wheel, whether it be real or not.

I don’t see the big deal with cool temperatures, unless there is snow on the track (rare here in Oklahoma). I’d be fine with racing during the winter and taking a summer break to skip a couple of crazy hot months in the summer.

At my age I’d much rather race in 40 degree cool weather than 90+ heat. Just attach the coolant pre-heater, start, and then get out there.

Here in North Florida we race all year long. Although, taking a break in July and August might be a good idea. Then we could avoid those brutal 98 degree days. Right about now it begins to get really pleasant to be on the track. If you get the chance, come on down to Monticello, FL and Monticello Karting and Motor Club. We have a beautiful 1.1 mile track (designed by Pablo Montoya) and a great group of competitive racers. Monticello Karting on Facebook, www.mkmc.us.
You will be glad you came.

3 Likes