It is possible to still become national kart champion?

Good luck. I hope you find a way to get out there and race. If you get interested in that tillotson series @gxbry posted I have a friend that races in it in Belgium if you want someone to ask about it.

“It’s a good starter series but i suggest him starting with a Honda 9pk, otherwise he wont be competitive in the first year. or maybe let him drive Formula karting first”

1 Like

Interesting! Sorry if this mostly off-topic from the main thread but I do have to ask. Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t honda 9pk where you have to bring your own kart? And I never heard of formula karting but a quick search and glance at it got me quickly hooked on it. I also have to ask. Between the two, which could be better to familiarize myself with karting in my rookie year? And is there a way I could get contact with your friend?

Yep. I’ll pm you an invite to our discord. Pm me your email.

Hey mate, so even after all the years of travelling around the world racing my main source of income was from coaching drivers not from race wins.

Yes I was fortunate to get sponsored by some large companies (one being Monster Energy) and received bonuses on race wins, but this doesn’t happen very often.

To put it into context, I understand times are different but my dad started at age 32, learnt himself and raced against future Supercars champions (Marcos Ambrose) and honed his skills. He never won an Australian championship but was very competitive in that level then taught me when I had started all off his own accord.

So it can be done, to start later and be competitive it’s just the age kids are getting into it and the resources they’re pouring into it are developing quicker than previously. Are the any better? I don’t believe so, just getting to their peaks faster.

1 Like

Hey David. Thanks for dropping in! It’s not every day that a thread asking about becoming a kart champion has one actually show up. So, thank you for sharing these insights.

This makes sense to me. The more resources you throw at a project, the quicker it will digest those resources (to the extent that it can, aka talent). Is it dramatically spendier today than when you came up? I recall one of the other pros describing his team showing up with a literal trailerful of engines. So it sounds like the big spending is not new.