Jetting Q on rotax max pre evo senior

Hi guys, hope you are all good. I have some questions about jetting on a pre evo rotax. I have a kart as a hobby, not racing. I took it out yesterday for a spin and found at 13k it was quite hesitant, if i backed off throttle slightly it would pick revs up and lurch forward a little. As i was having fun i didnt look into it but last night i did some looking.
I have a 160 jet in it (first time i have looked) temperature were 12-14 and a mixture of overcast and sunny. I was expecting to see a 170 based on looking at those charts on google.
To clarify a higher jet, eg 170 runs richer than a lower number like 160?
Secondly have i got some strange things going on in my carb?
Im a total noob with this stuff so hoped to get some words of advice from you guys who know your stuff.
Thanks

Peter,

1. That sounds lean
  2. Jets are calibrated by flow, a 110 jet will flow 10% more fuel at the same pressure than a 100 jet.
  3. 170 on a 14 degree day with oxygenated pump gas would’ve been perfect on my old pre-Evo Rotax senior engine

I don’t think you have anything strange going on with your carburetor

-Charles

1 Like

Thanks for replying. What would running lean cause in regards to the engines behaviour? I have never heard it pop ever, and i havent changed the jet before.
I finally got my data onto the pc i can in fact see i was hitting what i guess is its limiter at 14.1k, which i think is why it did the lurch thing.
So going up does make it richer, thanks for clearing that up.
Just regular shell fuel i believe, my mate was in charge of the fuel run. And 2%ish oil mix
I’ll give the 170 a go next time and ill do more reaearch into jetting for these engine’s. As a noob i have lots to learn. Thanks!