Jig for straightening axles and sprocket hubs

Curious if anyone has a DIY/Cheeper solution for holding axles and associated items to be straightened.

Guess the field repair version would to keep the axle on the chassis and hit it with a hammer. Same with bent sprocket hubs… just tapping the ears and running a dial gauge on it.

First version that I was thinking of is just buying the cheaters 50mm bearings/brackets and mounting them to a workbench when needed. Then you could slide the axle in to straighten, slide the sprocket hub on the end as well if need be.

Thoughts? Is there a cheaper way to “mount” a 50mm axle?

I was thinking of a solution to this myself after having been rear ended and toasting a brand new OTK H axle. I have access to a hydraulic press at work (auto dealership). I was thinking I could use 3 V-blocks, two to support the axle on the plates and the third under the press to push it true. My biggest concern was distorting the roundness of the axle at the pressure points.

Any thoughts?

You need a way to measure, or at least find, offset & trueness to know where & how much to move it.

Currently I use two roller v-blocks to spin the axle on with a dial gauge to test the run out. one issue I’ve found is that if the v-blocks are off even a bit, or its rotating on a bend in the axle it starts drifting in one direction. that’s why I was thinking of still using bearings to lock the axle in place. once the bend on the axle or bend on the sprocket carrier is found it can be adjusted with a hammer or by removing it and using a press. I would be cautious of the press/vblock at the same time as I think it will create pressure spots where the vblocks are and cause more damage.

Something came to mind… maybe a pair of 80mm exhaust clamps to hold the bearings (50mm I.d, 80mm o.d). On some sturdy bench or wood planks.

I was thinking that a V-block would disperse some of the pressure over two point of contact surface rather than a single localized point that it is resting on. Maybe instead of a V-block, you could use a C-block. Half circle cutout equal the the axle diameter. That would spread the load even more and prevent the axle from distorting.

Definitely need a way to measure run out. Find the center of the deviation and balance the load application equally between support structures to prevent further deformation.

If you have ever worked with a metal break, you know the spring effect of making bends. You have to go slightly past where you want to stop and the material springs back to your intended target. I would presume straightening an axle is approached the same way. Please tell me if I am wrong.

You have to pay attention with straightening an axle.
When it is bend in a keyhole or close to it you better buy a new one.
This is a soft spot and 9 out of 10 it will break in the the keyhole after a while.