Just getting started

My friend and I want to get into karting here in Colorado. I’m looking at getting into the LO206 class. We are window shopping for Karts for now. We have 2 karts in mind for now.
The Bintelli S1 is complete for $2000. but the wrong engine for the class, so we add $600 to that. Bintelli also offers the S! less tires and engine for $1500.
The VLR Emerald comes complete with the LO206 engine for $4000.
I need pro and cons on these karts and would like to have your input.

The Bintelli is not meant for racing… It is a cheap kart meant for rentals. I would recommend buying a used race chassis instead of the bintelli

Welcome!

The race series you’ll probably be most interested in is the Colorado Karting Tour, the regional IKF-sanctioned race series. You can find out more at coloradokartingtour.com. Member @Eric_Gunderson1 is a great resource, as he is deeply involved with the series.

As for chassis, it will be a benefit to have a chassis with local support. I’ve never seen either of those brands at the track, so if you need a spare part finding it locally may be an issue. I see lots of OTK and OTK brands, compkart / birel, CRG, and less so but some Energy and Margay. I’d really want to stick to one of those brands if you can.

It may be a good idea to follow both the CKT and the Colorado Karter on facebook. https://www.thecoloradokarter.com (also run by Eric) has a great classifieds section, and there are usually LO206’s for sale. It may also be a good idea to call some of the local tracks / shops, and see what is available. Most local tracks also handle sales and service. Both me and another new karter I know both got our karts from Greg Welch at Unser Centennial (Greg is the GM). I bought mine new and he bought his used, so there are always options. The last thing you wanna do is buy a kart and then find out you can’t run it in the series you wanna race in, so buying a kart from a previous racer or someone already in the series is a good way to ensure you can get a race-ready product with little drama.

Hope to see you out at the track soon! I just started in KA100 two races ago, so I’m pretty green myself. Having a blast so far though, and the 206 class looks REALLY fun due to the size of the field. I might try and get into it next year as well.

2 Likes

Skip, I am in my first season with the Colorado Karting Tour and am racing in LO206 Heavy. It is a blast! As Kenny said, Eric Gunderson is the man to talk to. Honestly, Kenny covered just about everything.

One thing I would add is that we race next weekend (the 26th) at Action Karting (at Bandimere). Come down, introduce yourself. I will have the #771 CRG and will be pitted pretty close to the shop area. I can show you around a bit and answer any questions you may have (Eric will be there, but will be busy as he is a race official).

Anyway, come watch a race and look for me. I am in my first season so I am still learning but I also can try to answer any questions you have and run you through some of the challenges I have had. We have a great LO206 group here in Colorado, come join us!

Be sure to check the classifieds section on thecoloradokarter as well. If you need help over there let me know!

2 Likes

Thank you all for the advice. That is is direction that I needed. I won’t be able to make it the next event to check it out, but I’m hoping to make it to Unsers on the 8th.
Thank you all again

1 Like