Kart Tyre Temperature Data

No. Looks like there’s interface available, though I’d have to get one and something for it to talk to, then figure out what and how to say. Was just looking at a cheap way to do tire temps. Turns out it’s more like a raspberry pi and a pair of arduinos, though, for reasonable update speeds. Mounting also a bit of fun, going to try putting it in the side pods.

hah, looks like he’s using the same sensors.

I don’t think side pods will work. For the rear, you need something frame (bearing carrier bolt ups) mounted. For the front, it has to be spindle arm mounted. Also the distances have to be carefully controlled based on the contact patch width and field of view.

Sorry to bump up this old topic but I feel it is better than creating a new one. I am thinking about buying a affordable temp gun to measure tire temps, these can be bought in any hardware store or online for a few dozen euros/dollars. However, there is so much supply of infrared temp guns that I don’t know what to choose. They vary in accuracy, range, surface that is measured, speed, distance etc. Probably all of them do the job, because measuring tire temps is not that complex. But does any of you have experience about the specific characteristics that I should take into consideration? Thanks in advance.

I bought a cheap one and it works well. I guess the issue is that it measures the surface as opposed to inside the rubber. I guess this means that you will need to do temps immediately and be consistent about when that is.

1 Like

On practice days, I put air gauge and temp gun inside my suit so I can get them immediately when I come off the track.

3 Likes

I put a beer and a bag of Doritos in mine for the main for the exact same reason.

12 Likes

Plus you can break the beer bottle if things get ugly in the scale line. :rofl:

This comment was made in jest;
I am NOT condoning violence, the wasting of beer, or setting bad examples for the impressionable.

I should have specified that I mostly drink cans, so rather than engaging in any scale house brawls I’ll try to redirect everyone to the benefits and drawbacks of recycling in America. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Warren and Evan do an experiment:

https://www.reddit.com/r/instant_regret/comments/sgkbfl/he_really_thought_the_bottle_would_break_turns/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Here’s what I did for a cheap and simple method to measure and record tire temps. I bought the probe below off Amazon for $34. At the end of the session, I would plug in the temp probe into the ebox temp channel (needs a round to flat connector adapter cable). Measure the 3 tire temps and use a silver marking pen to scribble the temps on the side of the tire. If you need a separate display, Amazon has really cheap DVMs with a K type thermistor input.

3 Likes