Sim Racing Megatopic

I am seeing that it varies depending upon track and how much it works tires. I am looking for 16.5-17.5 temps generally. This appears to take about 10-15 laps with a base of 11.5-12 psi cold.

What’s odd is that the kart feels “good” for the first lap with cold tires. Different but not loose.

I am running higher rear tire pressures (cold) and I am on the pace from the first lap. Which indicates that the grip is correlated to tire pressure and not so much to tire temps. It takes me quite some laps to get the tires in a greenish color range but the laptime doesn’t improve really.

2 Likes

Yah. Greasy doesn’t feel greasy, exactly. I can’t really tell what is optimal.

The tires are odd. I have often set PBs on the first lap when tires are cold still. The rear feels more planted as the run goes on. I agree with @Matthijs_Hofman assessment, probably more related to pressure rather than temp.

Would be curious to see what higher rear pressures would do, if you could get the rear grip you needed right off the bat.

This is correct, IMO. There is no penalty (other than reduced grip) for having wheels off. Grass driving should slow you down a bit like it does IRL.

1 Like

I now have a plan for the evening. I’ll try higher pressure cold with higher rears and see if I can go fast within 5 laps.

Last night I took a spot, breaking my previous best on lap 1 (flyer) with no adjustments. Cold temps 11.5-12

I have a cold tire temp of 15 or 15.5.

You must be getting up into the 20s after 25 laps. Does it get greasy?

Yes it does, so not ideal for a race. But normally I have problems with heating the rear tires. Probably related to driving style. They don’t get much higher than 18 psi

So I played with pressures. I recommend you try as well because how it feels is unusual. It’s not like being on cold tires, you aren’t slippery. What it feels like is that you have good grip but on a wider line. If you push the turn a bit, it feels like the sidewalls roll over and you go wide like on casters. Sort of crab walk. If you go down to 7 lbs, you will see what I mean.

I am still not sure what the correct pressure is. Rather, there’s an acceptable range. The kart seems to like 11-18 lbs. it drives differently at lower pressure but very grippy, still.

It never ends

S1: 9.378
S2: 20.872
S3: 16.662

Good things. Fastest s2 by a long shot. I am running s3 well now, but not consistently as fast as I’d like. I can and will speed this up in S3 by 2/10. I regularly land .5x and have landed several .4x.

S1: 09.376
S2: 20.950
S3: 16.540

More. 3 solid sectors but nothing fantastic. I’ll take it for now.

S1: 09.376
S2: 20.950
S3: 16.468

Further. Let’s mine the heck out of this one. Went to 9-67 from 9-68. Meh. Sorta similar across the board with no discernible sector difference. And yes, those first two sectors are identical.

End of Road. US 1 and (effectively) GLB 1!

S1: 09.311
S2: 20.992
S3: 16.395

So looks like I drove myself out of a virtual job, here, as I just drove the fastest time, yet. The reason why I say “effectively” GLB 1 is that on launch day, when he selected Minimal mode in X30, under some odd condition, it dropped Chris into the KA100 leader board. Oops. He ran a few x30 laps and set a time we won’t catch in the KA, most likely.

Thus, with the caveat that if you exclude that lap from the LB, I pulled it off. Pretty efficiently, too. I am rather proud of that. I am also rather happy that I was able to go faster than a few folks who previously I have not been able to beat. I am getting faster.

This lap features a very capable S1 followed, again by a very strong but wobbly S2. The thing that sealed the deal is something I had not expected (or even had an inkling I was capable of) which is a .395 S3. I am able to hold a hair more speed at the top, and as he peels off, I undercut and get the better exit.

I messed with gearing and ran this on 9-65. I had temps cold as follows: 11 LBS F, 12 LBS R. However, since the R side runs hotter, -1 LB to RF/RR.

I included 2 laps since I ran a pretty decent lap just prior. Enjoy!

1 Like

Ooh, we have exciting drama. This guy DIG dumped a bunch of global 1 laps the other night. A bunch of the drivers think the laps are sus.

So here’s the thing…

At pfi you can cut the final loopdey-loop and make a beeline for the start. This allows you to hit limiter way earlier on x30, and, in the case of top end starved KA100, get closer to it.

So, if ya wanna go for a screamer of an S1, you gear for the lengthened run to turn 1, just past the bridge. This allows for BIG speed. Thus, DIG posted a .6 S1, about 4/10 faster than GLB 2.

His subsequent sectors are strong but not crazy strong. His final sector is actually weak by the standards of the top of the board, a slow
.60. But, mid sector is a respectable .9, which is difficult to achieve with (presumably) reduced teeth on the ol’ sproket.

So, on a general level it all makes sense. He geared for s1 and that’s that. But, Zycos couldn’t recreate an s1 run like DIGs at any gearing. If anyone can, from a driving perspective, Gillian (Zycos) would be able to recreate. Therefore sus.

It could be a glitch, maybe, some gearing/parts combo that allows for something extraordinary. We’ve seen that in the past. But, that seems unlikely because his lap behaved normally. He was not unusually fast everywhere. His lap followed the pattern you’d expect, sector time wise, with a fast s1.

It’s possible it’s a tire pressure thing. I have babbled on about the power line in the past. As the ffb model and tire changed, I noticed that the power line had become more pronounced in some ways, a bit different.

Tire pressure seems to have a very subtle effect on grip, particularly cold tire laps to warming. I have experienced s1 at pfi classic on cold tires that was very fast and I swear I got sucked into the line and fired around the corner.

I bet DIG figured out a thing. He did all the laps on different tracks quickly. I’ll bet they all were at a similar oddball pressure.

The PFI cut trick didn’t work though for him on PFI-C. He beat me there but I took it right back. The likely reason is that the classic layout requires you to turn into a big 180 where at PFI regular you’d still have hundreds of feet left to get to limiter. So, low teeth kart path launch doesn’t work there, really.

However, if you look at my footage above, there’s a couple places where he pulls on me in a way I would not expect if he were geared the way his sectors play out. So, this part confuses me.

In both laps of the video I run strong s2 but yet, even with my gearing of 9-65, he keeps pulling ahead on corner exits that I have pretty much nailed. Not right at exit, but as we go to next turn, he keeps gaining speed down the straights where I can’t keep up. This doesn’t make sense unless he’s found a way to have the benefits of lower teeth on exit while having more top end. Hmm. It’s so subtle. The more I look at the laps, the more it looks like he has additional top end, though.

1 Like

And, here we go again!

S1: 09.374
S2: 20.931
S3: 16.341

Well Dig figured out his thing at PFI-C as well so back I went. Here is me almost passing Sheenu down the start/finish.

Good fun. Hopefully Dig will ultimately reveal his trick as no one seems to be able to replicate it.

This is too cool! Back to back, Identical bombs!

This doesn’t happen every day. I ran exactly the same laptime (to the thousandth), back to back. And, if that’s not unusual enough, they were also within a couple hundredths of Sheenu and GLB 2.

Also Drama solved. Zycos figured out that the trick was setting the tire pressure as low as possible. That opens a brief window before the tire heats up of oddly powerful grip. Once that became known, DIG shared the setup with the devs and the gang. Good fun.

1 Like

I join Eric at the Top

S1: 9.311
S2: 20.777
S3: 16.445

I absorbed a part of DIG’s idea/glitch from the setup. I moved the seat all the way forwards because there is more grip to be had on exit than we thought, due to how the tire behaves warming up. Long story, won’t bore you with details. But, if you got a lot of rear grip, might as well slam the seat all the way forwards!

This is a heck of an S2. This puts me effectively at 1 US and 2 GLB. The times of DIG and BOBBER are glitched.

I have another lap to put up. It’s starting to be a bit too much, really. It seems that of late, every time I sit down to the rig, I am successful in improving my previous time. Yesterday I did it three times. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This thread kind of turned into a blog about the laps I do, which isn’t really the point. It’s nice and all, but the laps are largely proof of concept, that sim has value and that it makes me a better kart pilot.

I think what I have been experiencing In the past couple weeks is the floodgates opening up, driving wise. I used to agonize over my laps, spending weeks trying to improve by a few hundredths. Now, I seem to be able to better guide myself and figure out the how’s and why’s of the laps. Progress comes quickly and for the first time, I feel like I have true control, agency, even.

GVKC-R flow factory

S1: 15.771
S2: 12.717
S3: 15.828

Yesterday I set a new fastest lap (for me) at GVKC…

S1: 16.247
S2: 21.673
S3: 05.940

… And, today, I just did it again, exactly!

S1: 16.323
S2: 21.565
S3: 05.972

That was unusual, but rather cool, once I realized that I had run the exact same laptime, matching my new personal best.

We are currently exploiting a tire pressure/Temp glitch that allows us to get unreasonable grip. The laps look a bit odd due to this.

Doesn’t get much closer than that (.001)

1 Like

Anyone else have massive issues with the new update? KK has literally been undriveable since I downloaded the new update yesterday.

Was doing 30.8s at Geel in X30 before the latest update. Now I can’t get below a 45…

Kart has no acceleration below 90kmh. From 6k rpm to 11k rpm it just does not go. Same gear as before the update. And there is no grip… and no this is not a “you just need to warm up your tires” thing. If I go full gas at 40kmh and turn the wheel, kart gets uncontrollable wheelspin and I fly off the track like the X30 has 500 lb-ft of torque… which is a little odd considering how slowly it accelerates now.

Wheel inputs are working fine. CSL Elite.