Sim Racing Megatopic

Ka100? I am not feeling the same thing.
I am 16 caster I think and 0 rear width. I am more experiencing difficulty getting the kart to rotate when and how much I want. The braking seems to be where things are different. That and the kart loads up faster if that makes sense.

What wheel do you have Dom? It’s odd that we have basically the opposite problems. Maybe it’s hardware related.

If I run 16 caster, the kart is constantly rear-steering at apex to exit, and it’s sideways in all the fast stuff.

I run a fanatec csv 2.5. I’ll post my settings.

I personally like the rear loose.

I wouldn’t classify my handling as “loose” in the normal sense, it literally feels like the kart has rear steering on exit. It doesn’t feel like a slide, it feels like my wheel is still turned coming off the corner. I’m assuming it has something to do with how the physics interpret inside rear wheel lift and chassis flex, like the chassis is still lifting the inside rear wheel off the corner. It’s a very odd sensation I’ve had since the beginning of playing KK.

I’ve got a Logitech G920. Maybe this could be an excuse to get a nicer wheel!

As in your unwind? On exit? As I read this I understand that to mean you are holding angle which isnt what you mean.

Correct, it feels like I’m still holding angle on the wheel, but I am not.

Trying your setup now, it feels almost the same but it is faster. Some of your adjustments were similar to mine, I think it’s a matter of finding the sweet combination.

Maybe I was thinking about it backwards in terms of setup… I was chasing dialing out front grip to keep the rear from steering the kart on exit, when maybe in reality I need MORE turn in to rotate the kart quicker so it isn’t loaded as long

Probably this. Kart loads up faster and snaps sooner.

Just did P2 US at Geelong with blue tires yet, so it’s definitely better than it was.

Into the .7s with an uneventful lap

S1: 21.020
S2: 23.187
S3: 17.532

I am starting to get consistent and did this without noticing. Its an interesting lap in that there isn’t a single “hot” sector in the bunch. They are all “fast” but on there’s a tenth or more left in each of them.

It’s interesting to me how this laptime is a pretty big jump from the last lap, and, I did it without really thinking about it much. There’s something about this little kart that makes me feel very much in control, and I like it. :thinking:

Noice. Setup really matters, I think. Not so much in speed but comfort with how one likes to drive. Also, I do think your brain has to adjust to it before it feels complete. I find this takes a day or so.

The thing us, I didn’t even utilize FFB. I just wanted to get accustomed to the hardware, which worked great. It’s just KZ seems to have gotten ultra loose, like the simulated tire frictional coefficient (I assume) has been nerfed. Even if I narrow the rear to increase lateral/turning grip, under throttle, it still wants to spin; very “razor’s edge” feel to it.

Also seems like there’s an artificial directional vector input imposed under brake load; under straight line braking, it goes sideways & spins. My guess is that it’s overaccentuating L/R chassis deflection attributed to (simulated?) forward weight shift/rear end “lift” (& possibly even slight steering angle input) under braking, making the rear very skittish, & then it just goes sideways. The point-shoot technique with KZ simply won’t work due to the low grip/high sensitivity situation.

Overall, KZ is almost an ice rink driving sim in this current state.

Turn 1 sucked, but sector 2 was magical.

Allright! Hopefully it keeps Feeling better and better.

Very possible. It’s always been similar to a kart in that when weight shifts forwards, the weight imbalance of the engine does start to initiate a circular rotation of the back. It was controllable in prior builds, but it might have gotten too quick.

Racin’ the Ghost of TJ, live:

Oooo… so close! I finish this later but you’ll slip away.

Optimal .0.

The ka100 is completely on rails at GVKC. The final turn is heaps easier. Everything feels easier to do, more predictable.

Round 2:

Come and take it back!

S1: 16.510
S2: 21.550
S3: 06.036

Yay! Finally got ya. Your S3 is V nice! As is everything else. It was fun running neck and neck, there. :grinning::100::checkered_flag:

1 Like

Very cool. Nice work. I struggle so much with the hairpin in sector 2 (turn 5?). That’s one place it feels like the kart always over-rotates and I can never get a clean exit on power.

That’s a funny turn. If you feel like it, mess with entry Kerbs to right. The update has made it really easy to be creative with track limits. Many options.

GVKC is now available in Reverse!

S1: 16.004
S2: 12.629
S3: 15.997

The reverse layout is really fun to drive. This is probably because the camber of the turns works with you (mostly) this way around. It is quick, flowing and technical.

I hammered at this all day and really enjoyed the puzzle (thus far). I am starting to get much better at understanding line, and, importantly, when to push the various pedals to maximize efficiency. This lap is an effort on my part to stay within the grip of the tire and to nurse the line to be fluid and easy on the tires. I am looking for efficiency.

What’s interesting is that I had just beaten a series of ghosts, .2,.1, .0, .0, .9… then, this lap at .6. That was a very big jump. The decision to try a lap where I focused on efficiency and forced myself to wait for the right time to accelerate and to force myself to brake earlier, worked. It, however, is really hard to resist holding throttle just a touch longer or flooring it a moment sooner. I guess pushing is human nature and hard to overcome.

@Bobby This is me trying to “squirt” more and stay within the tire.