Sim Racing Megatopic

Blockquote
Intital reports are that grip is wayyy down. Tanguy reports a lap of 57 for pfi which is about 3.5s off normal.

Blockquote

Normal KartKraft or normal real life?

I haven’t tested the new build yet, but I think I will like it. I was way too smooth with the wheel in the old build, but perhaps that will benefit me now.

Sorry, relative to previous KK build. But, the x30 apparently feels like it’s on ice with the update. The ka100 feels quite grippy to me now.

Definitely enjoying the KA more than I ever did with the X30. The brake locking is difficult still, but the tire temp is a nice touch.

Agree Dom, the KA feels more realistic in how you have to drive it. I’ve been playing with setups all morning trying to find that sweet spot. A little disappointed that no matter what they do with the physics, I still have this issue with the kart over-rotating after apex. It feels so awkward when it happens. Almost every tight corner or long-load corner I have to make an anticipatory correction before I feel the over-rotation just to make sure it doesn’t slide on exit. Lowering the seat to 0 helps a little but it’s still my major issue with the handling. Need to find the trick setup to alleviate that. Will be testing the other karts again tonight to see if there’s one that handles better. I have used the Praga/IPK karts for the longest time, but I know some of the other ones have a more planted rear end. It’s odd because I also feel I never have enough front grip. It’s like the sidewall of the tire has no flex or give whatsoever, so it never plants and I end up having zero confidence on throttle from apex off.

The physics don’t really feel much different to me, just the tires are slippery for two laps.

Here’s the latest lap from last night. You can see the driving cleaning up. I am having the literal opposite experience from your bolded bits. However, braking is changed. The kart overloads much more easily and will finally snap spin. I find that the time on brake has had to be shortened further. Trail of any sort rapidly overloads the front end. Back doesn’t necessarily release either.

The kart rotations required for turns 5-6? (cutbacks at start of S2 PFI) are very difficult to initiate and the window for controlling the rotation is very narrow.

Here is my current setup and here is the lap:

(Mistake on straightening out at track out of final turn after a small error in bowl).

1 Like

Going to try lowering the ride heights tonight as well. On AMP I feel like I’ve got the setup pretty good there and the kart feels relatively controllable. On GKCV where I usually feel very good in X30, I now feel like I can’t get the rear to stay stable.

How many laps are you finding it to take to get the tires up to temp? It’s been 4-5 for me, running 13.5 psi.

Honestly haven’t paid attention. My assumption was that the game would then become like life wherein the fastest hot laps would be laps 4-8 approx.
So far I just seem to have tires come in and stay. If you don’t do a big slide, they dont seem to overheat and grease up (mg reds).

Kinda feels similar grip wise (in terms of grip consistency not amount) to rental racing tires minus the icy lap 1.

Excited to see that the KA has been added. I’ll be diving into this tonight!

Back in business, for now. This looks like a lap.

S1: 21.152
S2: 23.111
S3: 17.739

Moved the seat to 40% LON. The kart seems to want to release 3/4 of the way through the exit of a turn, but can’t. Its too glued down. Grip is super high. I can absolutely murder the back chicane, taking all of the kerbs. This one here is pretty good and look at how I gap.

Maybe its because we are slower overall, but it feels like the kart can take so much more lateral load. It gets weird though under braking, still. Work in progress.

You will love it, I think. Its a step forwards.

Finally got the chance to set up & try out the CSL F1 wheel. The good news is that the wheel feels good. Bad news is the sim seems to have minimal grip compared to what it felt like when I used a simple gamepad. Feels like I’m on ice, or soft dirt, & it just wants to spin out everywhere, & that’s with a foot throttle that has a lot more travel compared to the gamepad trigger. Settings help, but not enough to really mitigate it. I haven’t tried it since the updates, so I’m presuming that’s reason for the difference.

It doesn’t feel like driving my shifter IRL.

@WheelSpin Ignore x30 and KZ for right now. They dropped a major update which dramatically changed ffb and how grip works. Simultaneously, they introduced KA on MG reds.

Reports are that the ffb change resulted in the mg Yellows being super slippery and everyone is commenting on it.

The reds on the Ka feel really good, however. Try ka for now till they patch.

I haven’t tried KZ or x30 since I have been so taken by ka100.

As I dial in tune I am feeling very much that the ka on reds is a very big step forwards. I am finding this to be much less cartoony than the previous iterations. I had moments last night where I found it to almost be like the real thing.

If you do try ka, the gearing is fascinating. I am running 13 or 13.5 cold.

Running laps this am.

Observation: Gearing:

This isn’t making sense. If I combine the two back Sections into a giant straight to test top speed;

9-66: 64 mph
9-64: 65 mph

So you reallllllly have to have a ton of straight to get to the “limiter” (don’t hear it, actually). The last 4 mph are a slow rise.

I keep feeling like the higher teeth make more sense. Logic is as follows: sure, with tall gearing (9-65-66) time is lost in s1. But, if you get an ideal launch (kart path), you can be as fast as the shorter geared ghost to bridge.

You will probably lose the drag race to turn 1 of s2 but just barely. (Actually, I just landed a .00 S1 which appears to be as fast as it gets. So, maybe not.)

In s2, the shorter gearing is a huge advantage. I pulled a 23.0 s2 with 9-66, which is probably about 1.5 tenths faster than #1. I can pull in each corner of s2 and s3.

But, the main thing is how the kart drives and brakes geared taller. The braking makes sense finally. The kart feels balanced and alive and I can dig out of corners.

I’m a bit confused because with x30, the world record lap was 9-61 and most ran 9-61 to 9-63. I personally set my fastest on x30 with 9-64. I am finding that 9-64 - 9-66 is in many ways better with KA and it doesn’t really make sense to me.

Edit: I get tall and short inverted all the time. But, you get my drift.

Does the KA have a 15k limiter in Australia, folks down under?

You think they might have accidentally restricted too much top end on this engine in KK?

Well there’s no rev-limiter on it here so I didn’t know if it was different in Australia. We run it above 15k, even in juniors.

The fastest S2 yet.

S1: 21:317
S2: 21.997
S3: 17.580

Watching the first sector, you’d think there’s no way I could make up that gap. Wrong. Surprised the Bejeezus out of me, too. As you can see, there’s something to this crazy high gearing. 9-65, started at 14psi.

A busy day with lots of experimentation

S1: 21.158
S2: 23.098
S3: 17.582

Gearing is 10-71, 13.4 psi cold

I messed around with tire temps. It seems like the tires get greasy around 18 degrees. Its subtle, but, my laptimes started to slow around 18.5 deg. and falloff was more noticeable at 20 deg. It was not so much in the feel of the kart, but in the laptimes. They were slow due to slight inefficiencies, as opposed to big slides. I just couldn’t quite get as much out of the kart.

I also messed around with gearing, chasing the fast sub 21s S1. I tried Eric Chin;s 10-71 gearing and also I tried his “Brake to rotate at bridge” suggestion and, Voila!

In the process I also dramatically lowered my optimal to 1:01.620, which is a very big jump. Progress! This time around, I am picking it up much faster, which is encouraging.

Bomb S1

So with more time on it this weekend, I’ve come to the conclusion the fastest way is to just drive like an ape. :joy:

The only way I can do a respectable time is to set the kart up fairly understeer-y (removing caster, lowering seat height), and then getting rotation on entry with the brakes. If I try to set it up feeling neutral and drive it as I would in real-life, I just get entry understeer and over-rotation on exit constantly.

I’ve had to drive the Sodi as it’s the only kart that feels like it has decent rear grip.

Some of my best laps look horrid. Full-lock on to catch slides, big entry inputs… it looks like I’m driving in the rain.