Sim Racing Megatopic

A significant update.

@everyone

Build 0.1.0.2823 is now live! Please restart Steam if you do not see the update.

New Features

KA100
The IAME KA100 class has been added to KartKraft. With 22HP and a maximum RPM of 15,000, the new class uses the medium grip MG Red tyre and requires very precise and smooth inputs to achieve good lap times. We look forward to your feedback on the new class.

Tyre Model
The tyre model has been updated to include a 3D thermodynamic model that simulates the heat transfer between the asphalt, contact patch, tread, pressurised air and rim. No longer static, the entire carcass and tread around the circumference of the tyre is affected by contact pressure and sliding friction which results in localised hotspots and the new ability to overheat the tyre if driving and sliding too hard. Future updates will include different rim materials that allow for better dissipation of heat and more stable changes in pressure. A visualisation of the 3D tread has been added to the HUD. Note: Existing setups will need to be updated to extract the maximum performance from the new model.

FFB
The calculation of forces being applied to the steering column has been improved resulting in a much more refined signal and smoother driving experience.

GKCV Reverse
The reverse layout of GKCV has been added which presents a different challenge with the blind uphill entry to turn 1.

Fixes/Improvements
Setup parameters now show their respective units. i.e PSI, Degrees etc
HUD elements are now zoomable and moveable using mouse wheel
Fixed crash when changing gear ratios on the KZ2 class of karts
Kerb response has been improved with a reduced likelihood of flipping

Yo thats awesome! LO206 is next I’m guessing. They also mentioned that they’ll be adding the Genk track at some point. Really think the tire models are cool

Going to have to jump on and test KA tonight.

I am guessing this will change everything. I assume with tire heat model I will have to drive like a normal human being again and not hang it out in good grip that never changes.

Here is someone trying to drive the new kart. Notice how grip has changed. These are also reds as opposed to whites.

Intital reports are that grip is wayyy down. Tanguy reports a lap of 57 for pfi which is about 3.5s off normal.

I’m assuming since it is new it’s probably going to need to be adjusted until it’s more or so accurate

Yes. Also we will have to figure out tuning. Most likely adjusting setup will go a long way. That being said, everyone so far likes it a lot.

My guess is January maybe.

Amusing bug: hit anything and game crashes. Avoid those cones!

I know it’s easy to be a critic, but the prioritization of development with this has confused me since it came on scene about ten years ago.

Focus on one kart and get multiplayer going well. Worry about the super pretty things, extra brands and other karts later.

Then again, if people actually put their hands
In their pockets for the KA kart I can understand.

1 Like

Makes for a very interesting challenge :joy:

I find this agreeable, the different karts and tracks seem great but they need to be able to add in a proper multiplayer in order to make it more complete. Right now it’s only hotlaps really, multiplayer gives you the proper challenge to race against other karters (or racing enthusiasts)

Watching KK develop, seeing the community posts on Discord and Reddit etc… You could never pay me enough to develop a game like this. It’s gotta be incredibly tough to do, plus managing community expectations.

Definitely not easy, but sometimes you have to define a scope and commit to it, even if it doesn’t please certain people. But yeah, I do feel like that can be particularly hard with karting for some reason.

The way I look at is we will get what we get. It’s literally 3-5 guys, I think.

Fair. But I think ten (ish) years is enough for one kart and multiplayer?

Yeah I am agreeing with you. Just noting how the Discord is mainly kids going “WhEn Is DiS tRaCk CoMiN aNd WhEn Is XbOx VeRsIoN CoMiN”

Piboso did a ton of this stuff for Kart Racing Pro in a much smaller timeframe.

Granted KK is far more in-depth, detailed, and visually stunning.

Yeah it’s a real thing. “Show me the money” is a reasonable response. Maybe not popular tho :d

They are Aussies. They had to fight off major natural disasters in 2020 (and snakes). But, yeah.

I have no idea how this works or where they are getting funding.

1 Like

They got some capital a few years ago when it was called KartSim, and the name changed to KartKraft
http://karting1.co.uk/kart-sim-interview.htm

OK so,
The KA 100 is badass. It is much more karty. Its a bit of a hot mess in the base setup so you will have to play with pressures etc.

Here’s what I noticed. The kart brakes much more realistically and it is much easier to lock up. When you do, you can actually spin, all the way around, twice even!

Turn in is a much more careful thing. Fast hands like I do, dont work anymore. The kart is now upset-able… It requires the same slight touch as a regular kart.

More to come. Heres a lap. Its not fast. Its careful.