KartPulse KartKraft Throwdown Season 1

Thanks again Pavle! :+1: You are a good coach!

Ground my way back to the top…

S1: 9.849
S2: 10.189
S3: 15.568

This has been a very weird road back to Global 1. S3 continued to dip in and out of reach, maddeningly. In every session, it felt like I had to hunt S3 down, mostly without success. But, despite my utter lack of confidence, I’d find a piece of it eventually, and build on that until I landed something in the 15.6X range.

This is a good start but its a bit flawed in that S1 is very slow relative to what I am capable of. S2 is acceptable but not outstanding. Borders on very good.

Here’s what Id like to see, that I know is possible and not unreasonable:

9.72, 10.05, 15.568

Great lap! Still plenty of room in S1…pull it all together and you’ll be in the 4’s no problem!

Thanks! I’m probably gonna let that sit for a bit because one of the other fellas is lonely at PFI. Might go pound a few laps out there. IIRC you were .6 last go round, so you’ll likely be back on top soon.

Just need to piece another lap together on my end. Just ran about 20 laps and got into the 7’s again, but had splits in the 35.46 range (9.68 S1 helped that). I just run out of patience after 20-30 laps or so on end…lol

That’s great. My spilts have been consistently down in the low 5s, which is nice. In theory, my bests would be in 4s, but I’d have to be perfect.

Whats odd is I havent seen a 9.6X S1 in a while. They used to be more common with different gearing, I think. I tried a tooth less and it works nicely too.

Funny to look at me as a coach, bit more like an critic :wink:

Also, I think you should make a small break in lapping NTK. I feel like you are trying a bit too hard there. Have a few days off, try some different track. Then come back fresh and get that S3 and without rush. You will connect S1 as well I think.

Indeed. You are wise.

I have gone back to PFI to see if I can make a legit run at Zycos and Tanguy for charity.

What’s interesting about going back to PFI a third time is how the learning of the track goes.

I find S3 much easier to understand now. I also get how to wait for it or to push it through the bowl. There’s a patience for it I think I found in the banking at NTK. In any case, I got that sub 16 already.

I also am finding speed in S1 and the bridge is so much fun. I can really feel the kart and enjoy placing it on exit.

S2 is where things get wooly. I changed my braking and am having to find a middle ground. I did in the lap below, I think. It’s a good start.

S1: 18.864
S2: 20.928
S3: 16.301

@Muskabeatz Sheenu pulled off the “almost” perfect lap looks like. Still room in S2 and 3. .15-.2?

Damn! Crazy fast in the first sector! Definitely room to get into the 35.2’s with superhuman precision.

This is the part that pisses me off. Argh. We know how to land those laps and have done the parts of it many times!

I decided to give the shifters a try at NTK. Logic being that banked turns are so much fun on an X30, it’s bound to be even better with more HP.

Indeed it is.

Shifters are a huge pain in the butt to get used to relative to the X30, so the transition is always a bit ugly. But, we have a fun leaderboard going on, and so I tuned up the kart and went racing. I just grabbed #1, but it will be very fleeting. Eric landed a 33.4x prior to wipe, so we are just getting to the fun part.

S1: 9.374
S2: 9.753
S3: 14.954 (Meh.)

I need to take a picture but i am 10th in UK at GEEL

1 Like

Nice! Go get em. Do you have a steering wheel or are you a controller guy?

Logitech wheel :smile:

Here’s a sub 34 lap. Terrible S1. I learned to brake a touch earlier for the chicane and S3 is starting to come together. This S3 is very good, but I still left some on the table. DId not improve on my best, alas.

1 Like

I’m not used to this circuit so i am still doing 40’s :slight_smile:

What’s your favorite track so far?

So, why am I posting these two laps that aren’t sub 34? Because that’s about to change, probably.

Something interesting happened when I went karting in Florida. I came back different, somehow, and it wasn’t the bath salts.The fact that I am now running 34.1 back to back is indicative of a sea-change. Those were special laps, before. Tonight, especially, they are commonplace, which was not the case prior to my IRL kart session last week,

I don’t know how to explain it, but the act of extensively hoofing those rental karts around a short track did something positive. I came back to sim with a newfound sensitivity that surprised me. Everything in my driving is just better, now.

Very specifically, the closing complex has been a nightmare. I was able to land some very fast laps despite this, but always felt that I did not understand how the complex works, could not reliably find the line out (or in) that allows for the ones that go super low, ie 14.7 S3 or better.

When I came back to sim, on my outlap I saw and understood the final sector. Just that simple. Since then, S3 has been evolving and I am seeing many laps in the 14.6-8 range. I know my way through, now.

I think it was the act of trying to keep a rental kart glued to the track. Trying to squeeze everything out of those pokey and heavy little karts really helped me re-focus on what matters to building speed. In my rentals, I was able to run many laps within hundredths of each other, and when I pushed, I was able to do so without saying goodbye to caution and grip. I felt like I had a better sense of the entire “system” of how the chassis and the tires work together, what they are capable of.

It’s not like I drove brilliantly or anything, nothing that special. But something about driving IRL changed things for me in sim. My braking was the first thing I noticed. Harder, more precise, with a weird ability to rotate at will. Along with that came an ability to place the kart better. I’m on top of the kart fully now, and what was fast no longer feels chaotic. It feels like I am driving here, and its my show to do with what I want. It feels like the variability, while not gone, has compressed dramatically. Back to back 34.1’s is that change manifested in a tangible result.

I am no longer apprehensive. I got this, basically. Hope I don’t eat crow. I just ran a 33.9 again that was pretty nice, but again, imperfect. Soon, I think, I hope. My optimal is now in the 33.6 range. I can beat Eric, which would be amazing.

Edit: NIght laps done. Even faster S3. Optimal now 33.5. On ghost’s butt and gaining. Whatever I learned seems to be working.

Does anyone know why KartKraft doesn’t have online?